Another Ball Joint Question for 98 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Ball Joint Question for 98 sport

Rage1973

Reaction score
City, State
Yuba City, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Please forgive me if this is a double post. I have been reading on some posts about the replacement of ball joints for the X's. I have currently ordered new bushing and stabilizer links from explorerexpress, and I am thinking about replacing my balls joints while I will be under the front of the truck. I am a little confused though on which ones that I should get. It seems that there are several differnt types to get.

So my question is, could someone please help me out, and tell me which ones I need to get. Being stationed in Germany makes it really tough on getting parts. It isn't like I can just go down to the local parts store and change it out if it is wrong.

http://replacement.autopartswarehou...e=FO&model=EXPL--001&part=Control Arm&dp=true

Ok I am looking at doing both upper and lower ball joints. This is where I have been looking. Also if you think that I am going to need anything else for this job, please let me know. Thanks allot everyone.

Jeremy

Ted,

Thanks allot for the info. How was the install, was it pretty much painless or was it a royal pain in the ars.

Jeremy

Its not to bad with the correct ball joint press. You will only have to press in the lower ball joint. On the upper joint, you will be replacing the upper control arm. The new arm comes with the ball joint already pressed in. You will need to get an alignment after your done if you replace the upper joints. Just take your time.

Back