• Register Today It's free!

Another Cruise Control Problem

TClark01

Reaction score
City, State
pewee valley, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport trac
I have a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin with an inoperable cruise control. When I attempt to switch it on with the steering wheel button(set), the indicator light in the instrument cluster flashes on for a fraction of a second, but does not engage. The fuses all seem OK and there is no other indication of any of the other systems malfunctioning. I am unaware if this was covered by the recall a couple of years back. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Everything seems to be controlled by computer.

next time it doesn't work try hitting the brake and then try your cruise if it does work at that point then you have the same thing im having happen. i have not changed the switch out yet but thinking about it.

As was suggested by another "poster" in another thread, I whacked the switch on top of the master cylinder with a pair of pliers several times, and, voila! The cruise control now works perfectly. I have purchased a new switch, however, and will install it tomorrow, which will most likely solve the problem permanently. TC
PS: Amazon has them on sale for $18 which is less than half what Ford wants for them.

Whacked the Switch and it Works!

As was suggested by another "poster" in another thread, I whacked the switch on top of the master cylinder with a pair of pliers several times, and, voila! The cruise control now works perfectly. I have purchased a new switch, however, and will install it tomorrow, which will most likely solve the problem permanently. TC
PS: Amazon has them on sale for $18 which is less than half what Ford wants for them.

Same vehicle, same problem, recall already made. Whacked the Switch a couple of times and took it back out for a test...worked perfectly! Amazing! Will also probably invest in a new switch though. :D

Back