Another Milestone - 2006 XLT

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
20211129_062929.jpg

'Nuff said..... longest I've ever owned a vehicle mileage-wise. Still running strong, except for a broken exhaust stud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are great vehicles with good, strong engines if you keep them up properly! I love the size, and there doesn't seem to be anything quite similar in "new" production. I wish they still made the Expedition-sized body style. The new, large(est) Subaru SUV may be worth considering some day.

These are great vehicles with good, strong engines if you keep them up properly! I love the size, and there doesn't seem to be anything quite similar in "new" production. I wish they still made the Expedition-sized body style. The new, large(est) Subaru SUV may be worth considering some day.
IMO, the 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers were the last of their model to have any serious off road capability and much of the durability of the F150. Especially the V8 models. After this they became mostly pavement queens. For me, the 2002-2010 were a near perfect mix of size, comfort features, function and off road ability. The two 1st gens I owned were much the same for the time frame I owned them. The 2nd generation was probably better than the 1st generation but I never owned one to know personally.

I am sure my opinion is affected by my age and not liking where new cars are going regarding planned obsolescence. For now I plan to drive my 2010 for many years to come if it, and I, stand up to the task. I really don't mind the odd repairs that happen over time as the mileage racks up. The good thing is I pretty much know what to expect, when to expect it and how to handle repairs due to having been a member here at EF for so many years. This is where driving an eleven year old car is an advantage.

Lastly, most vehicles will last a long time and be reliable if they are maintained religiously.... and not necessarily by the manufacturer's recommendations.

IMG-20211023-WA0021.jpg

Not mine
Probably some local Israeli guy.

If it helped then that's a good sign. At 150K, if it's never been done before then it might take a bit to settle in so I think it's a good idea to drive it and see what happens.
I understand the frustration - mine seemed to just start falling apart when it hit the mid 90s. Seemed like one thing after another from that point until now. I'm off work today putting a new radiator in mine - this will be the second time for that. The really frustrating problems are the ones that repeat.
I just keep hoping it will settle down at some point.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Gen4 its a Never-Ending-DIY car.

Always broken.no chance to fix em ever.they came broken from factory.
I mean i love em a lot.

But once you get fixed the whole car ,the first part you fixed will be broken again LOL

Considering the typical monthly payment on a new mid/large sized SUV, a repair here and there on a paid off 4th gen V8 isn't all that bad if they are properly maintained. The V6 models are a different animal, IMO. The engine and transmission issues they have can easily repair total them.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Gen4 its a Never-Ending-DIY car.

Always broken.no chance to fix em ever.they came broken from factory.
I mean i love em a lot.

But once you get fixed the whole car ,the first part you fixed will be broken again LOL
Oh - I'm aware. Bearings were easy at first - which ones haven't been replaced? It's probably that one then - worked every time. Now - it's which one that was replaced is the oldest! It's a bigger problem when you are particular and you can't just shrug things off because it's an older car.
Considering the typical monthly payment on a new mid/large sized SUV, a repair here and there on a paid off 4th gen V8 isn't all that bad if they are properly maintained. The V6 models are a different animal, IMO. The engine and transmission issues they have can easily repair total them.
I'm particularly fortunate in that case - my 2007 was bought in 2008 with 19K on it as a CPO. So mine was lightly used when I bought it and someone else took the depreciation hit. I don't really have to worry about the history on it - I've owned it for all but the first year. It makes it that much sweeter when I fix something and keep it on the road because I had that much less in it to begin with.

I'm particularly fortunate in that case - my 2007 was bought in 2008 with 19K on it as a CPO. So mine was lightly used when I bought it and someone else took the depreciation hit. I don't really have to worry about the history on it - I've owned it for all but the first year. It makes it that much sweeter when I fix something and keep it on the road because I had that much less in it to begin with.
My last car payment was in 1993. I haven't missed them at all. I finally listened to my father's advice about letting others take the depreciation hit on a new vehicle. I do like when people buy new since it is necessary to support my habit of buying used.

The purchase price plus maintenance and repairs on my current Mountaineer is less than $10k. I runs great, is in fantastic condition inside and out, has neary all maintenance items fully addressed (brakes, rotors, tires, all fluids etc.), all options work (even the power running boards) and is very nearly rust free bottom and top. I am sure there will be other items that need attention over time but I agree with you about doing repairs on a paid for vehicle. Whatever repairs I do in a year will very likely be much less than 1-2 payments on a loaded new mid/full size SUV.

Heck, what I save in personal property tax in my area over five years versus owning a new $55k vehicle is enough to cover about any repairs I can reasonably expect over this time period. Personal property tax on a $55k vehicle for the first year in my county is about $1,700. For my 2010 Mountaineer it is $153 per year and dropping. Assuming a whopping depreciation to $30k over five years for a new $55k vehicle, I am still saving over $5,200 in personal property tax alone. I highly doubt I will see $5,200 in repairs over the next five years. These new vehicles are incredible but I just don't need something that fancy to haul my crusty rear end from Point A to Point B.

422k miles on that picture above - respect :)
My 06 is now a high school vehicle for my daughter so not many miles daily anymore.
Closing on 303k soon.

Back