• Register Today It's free!

Another rear hatch lock question

rperry

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hey guys, I've done some searching on this site (and others) regarding the issues I am having with my rear hatch lock. The problem is when I hit the unlock button (either by remote or button inside the car) the rear hatch will unlock and then lock again immediately. The only way to open it is to stand by the hatch, use the remote to unlock it and time it so that when it unlocks, you twist the handle and it will open. After you release the handle, it returns to the locked position.

Now, I took off the plastic cover on the hatch and took a look at the mechanism and couldnt figure out what is going on. I lubricated everything but the problem still exists. When the hatch is all the way up, meaning gravity is not acting on the lock (the lock indicator is parallel with the ground), everything works fine but the second the hatch was almost closed (ie the lock indicator is vertical), the problem happened again.

Then I found a small spring that was unhooked and hanging on part of the locking mechanism but couldnt figure out where it connected to. Everywhere I attached it seemed to make the problem worse and now the spring is all bent out of shape... So here are my questions:

Does anyone know where this spring attaches to? Is that what is causing to immediately return to the lock position? Is the actuator the part responsible for holding the lock open and could this be a sign that the actuator is going?

Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!!

Hey Jason, I took a look at the video and unfortunately I cant see where the spring connects in that video.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try? Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Back