Disable / Fix hatch Glass lock

White86Tercel

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0AWD
The problem
  1. Something is wrong with my the hatch lock on my 4 door 1998 Ford Explorer.
  2. Whenever the hatch is locked on my 1998 Explorer the glass unlocks and whenever hatch gets unlocked the hatch locks.
  3. I think I caused the problem by getting a friend to pull on the hatch glass while I reached in to press the unlock button (my keys were locked in the car).
  4. The glass unlocking problem happens with both power locks and the key.
  5. Since the problem started the lock always gets stuck in whenever I push it in to open the glass.
Things I have tried
  1. I have tried lubricating some of the lock components.
  2. Reading about 10 posts about hatch glass lock issues on explorerforum.com (and none)
Questions
  1. Is there a quick way to disable the hatch glass and make it permanently locked.
  2. My guess is that we bent something yanking on the rear window open - does anyone know what component / bent metal pieces would cause this problem?

The problem
  1. Something is wrong with my the hatch lock on my 4 door 1998 Ford Explorer.
  2. Whenever the hatch is locked on my 1998 Explorer the glass unlocks and whenever hatch gets unlocked the hatch locks.
  3. I think I caused the problem by getting a friend to pull on the hatch glass while I reached in to press the unlock button (my keys were locked in the car).
  4. The glass unlocking problem happens with both power locks and the key.
  5. Since the problem started the lock always gets stuck in whenever I push it in to open the glass.
Things I have tried
  1. I have tried lubricating some of the lock components.
  2. Reading about 10 posts about hatch glass lock issues on explorerforum.com (and none)
Questions
  1. Is there a quick way to disable the hatch glass and make it permanently locked.
  2. My guess is that we bent something yanking on the rear window open - does anyone know what component / bent metal pieces would cause this problem?
i do believe there is a lock actuator that controls both the glass and hatch locks. id have to remember how they are all connected, i have a spare hatch so i have an entire spare lock system to play around with. as i recall it, i am not sure what would cause it to have one unlock while the other locks, but id have to check again on my donor hatch what makes the window lock. the actuator judt pulls a long metal rod. note to self: check this post again tomorrow

I too have a similar problem with my hatch back mine opens somewhat on the door part and the window part it opens perfectly. Last year hurricane Ian i think its name was torpedoed a tree branch into my hatch and dents the metal part inward a bit above the logo where it says Explorer XLT. Well i managed to get the dent out but my hatch back handle wont open normally as well as the lock not functioning. when i unlock it, the lock rod pops up but then falls back down into the locking position. then if by some chance that the rod stays up, when i turn the handle right to open the whole door, its stuck and doesnt want to turn unless i wiggle it back and forth to get it to open. however the window opens up just fine. Is the whole hatch mechanism just effed? or is it the lock?

Back