answer to transmission rattle!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

answer to transmission rattle!!

wanderer351

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus,OH
my 2002 4.6L 5r55w 97,000 the tranny has rattled since I got it about 8000miles ago...finnaly got it into the trans shop and heres what they found out (no pics sorry)...

the rattle was at idle and anytime the converter wasnt locked up (I.E. highway)...so I assumed it was turbine blades inside the torque converter...I was WRONG...

the owner of the shop (browns transmission in newark ohio) told me that they have gotten a few in and its usually the converter bolts have backed out and its always sounds like a flexplate rattle (or heatshield rattle)..he found 3 of them very loose and tightened them up a bit and it did quiet it down some..but he was sure that the studs had smashed threads and ordered a new converter and flexplate...

the old flexplate showed wear marks and even an indentation of where the 3 loose studs had begun to wear thru the plate...the converter studs showed damage at the very base of it and couldnt be tightened any more without risk of snapping them off...

the new converter and flexplate has finnaly quieted my diesel explorer!!!

ALSO...the chattering that I felt from the rear end (I assumed to be worn transmission clutches) was in fact some NASTY rear differential fluid that was basicaly useless and allowed the limited slip clutches to grab and jerk...the new fluid has made an amazing diffrence and he suggests changing it again in 6 months to get a good flush....he gave me a tip that the rear end when drained thru the plug and the remaining fluid below the drain plug level vacumed out..there is enough room to get the friction modifyer pumped in thru the drain plug so your not fighting the darn bottle into the main fill plug!!

now onto the dang leaking power steering rack (2 bottles of Lucas already ran thru it..its hosed)....and then some tires on her..and shes done with maintenance for a while....:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the rack replacement. It's not too difficult, but make sure to take some tow measurements before & after.

[QUOTE=wanderer351;there is enough room to get the friction modifyer pumped in thru the drain plug so your not fighting the darn bottle into the main fill plug!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can't pump or squeeze new fluid in thru the "drain plug" on the rear diff, it will just run out the drain hole as you pump it in. There isn't enough room under there to tip the bottle up to the fill hole and fill that way. Buy a hand pump ($7-$10) that attaches to the quart bottle of gear oil and squirt the tube of friction modifier into the quart bottle the synthetic gear oil came in and run the pump tubing up into the normal fill/check level hole and pump it in that way. Just make sure the tubing for the pump is long enough, 1-1/2 to 2 feet in length.

Is it possible to tighten the bolts without removing trans? Maybe remove starter and rotate flywheel?

Thanks

It isnt the bolts studs or nuts, the torque converter internals cause the noise. I have replaced at least a 100 converters over the years.

So what is the best solution? Stock or aftermarket converter? Any particular brand? any other parts to consider?

Thanks

my explorer has made a similar noise at idle. I've tried to locate it before and it always seems to come from the torque converter I think. I'm going to go out to the garage tonight and pull my starter to check all the bolts!

It isnt the bolts studs or nuts, the torque converter internals cause the noise. I have replaced at least a 100 converters over the years.

I have been told that there is no reason to replace the convertor other than to eliminate the noise and the convertor will operate just fine and with the same reliability of a non-rattling convertor. In you opinion is this true?

Well I checked all four nuts holding my torque convert on and they were all tight. Guess its just the internals of the torque converter that rattle.

Have a nice 05 Explorer w/ 4.6L and there is a sound like tiny marbles in a coffee can whenever you put a load on the trans, Shifts and runs great. What is the best replacement converter for this trans? How difficult of a job is it to change it out for a guy with a good home shop?

Back