Any ideas where I could place or mount 6x9s? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any ideas where I could place or mount 6x9s?

IndyExploder said:
^^^ no. They are 5x7s. All install catalogs call for a 5x7 speaker and even ford calls for a 5x7 speaker.

I know this isn't really what this thread is about, but:
Why does when you go to Crutchfield and put in '92 Explorer it brings up 3 sets of speakers to fit, 2 6x8's and one set that says 5x7/6x8. The thing at best buy to look up sizes says 6x8. And the Pioneer 6x8's that are in both my trucks have "Made specifically for Ford and Mazda" stamped on the outer edge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mista 808 whenever ur done please post some pics or email them to forero52@msn.com
i really wanna see how ur comes out.

FexplorerV8 said:
Mista 808 whenever ur done please post some pics or email them to forero52@msn.com
i really wanna see how ur comes out.

Will do.

LBarr2002 said:
I know this isn't really what this thread is about, but:
Why does when you go to Crutchfield and put in '92 Explorer it brings up 3 sets of speakers to fit, 2 6x8's and one set that says 5x7/6x8. The thing at best buy to look up sizes says 6x8. And the Pioneer 6x8's that are in both my trucks have "Made specifically for Ford and Mazda" stamped on the outer edge.

Both sizes will fit into the factory openings in the doors. Any manufacturers 5x7/6x8 speakers will fit.

Ill tell you right now, if you have an ear for sound quality, putting those 6x9s in the back is going to sound like ****. Sell them and dont use them at all. Get a very nice set of 6.5" round components up front and amp them and itll sound tons better.

putting 6x9's in the back will fawk up sound imaging and ruin sound quality. I think putting speakers in the back = teh ghey.

I have installed 6X9's in the back doors of my 98 mounty.
Easy. If I remeber right, the holes are already the right size with a plastic 5x8 adapter. Paint the grilles with interior trim paint, and you are good to go.
I personally think they help re-enforce the soundstage, but they should be at a lower level than fronts, JMO

no back speakers is the key... just leave stock for rear fill

jtsmith said:
I have installed 6X9's in the back doors of my 98 mounty.
Easy. If I remeber right, the holes are already the right size with a plastic 5x8 adapter. Paint the grilles with interior trim paint, and you are good to go.
I personally think they help re-enforce the soundstage, but they should be at a lower level than fronts, JMO

that's what I figured.... I don't get how they'll apparently make my system worse. I could understand if they were blowed and rattling or making weird noises but these 6x9s are in perfect shape and they sound so ####in clean and clear even at such loud volumes that I can't even take it anymore.... Even if I have them on but not way up it'll add sound. I'm still not sure how it will make the system crap and why everyone seems to have a HUGE PROBLEM with 6x9s. :confused:

you will learn young one. No rear fill is the best bet.

IndyExploder said:
The 1st gens are 5x7 which is the same thing as a 6x8(just a tad bit bigger). They are decent speakers(I don't kare what brand) but they do not have the clarity of a traditional round 5.25 or 6.5 speaker.

very true.

and theres differnt kinds of good to differnt people, loud, extremely clear etc. its alot of personal preference.

IndyExploder said:
^^^ no. They are 5x7s. All install catalogs call for a 5x7 speaker and even ford calls for a 5x7 speaker.
No, atually, 5x7 and 6x8 are the exact same size speaker, (from manufacter to man. of course.) They simply have different mounting locations (read the screws are in different locations). However, most speaker manufacters put both sets of mounting locations on a 5x7/6x8 speaker. So, if you buy a 6x8 speaker then depending on the man. they should fit in a 5x7 speaker mount. No biggie. Also, you guys are right about the more distortion from oval speakers. However, the difference is so minute, that most people can't tell the difference until high volume is hit. The idea of putting the 6x9 speaker boxes on the top of the sub box is a good one, and should yield very good sound.

TheFox88 said:
The idea of putting the 6x9 speaker boxes on the top of the sub box is a good one, and should yield very good sound.

That's what I've assumed but everyone tells me otherwise :rolleyes: and since I don't know a whole lot I try to agree with you guys but you all seem to say different lol :confused:
I figured it would be nice to have the 6x9's at head/shoulder height to the passengers in the car facing towards the front passengers. Like I've said... my buddy has his like that and they sound really good and despite bein a **** bag system he gets mad compliments.

He just has 2 sony explodes with some kenwood 6x9s and some polk momo's in his front two doors. And he's showed me the difference in sound when he has his 4 door speakers, and subs on WITHOUT THE 6x9s, and trust. IT SOUNDS WAY BETTER with the 6x9s on. It totally makes it like you're at a concert at high volumes. The mid/highs coming out the 6x9s sound so great and matches the volume of the bass nicely.

since when are concert speakers behind you.... do you have your speakers behind you in your house...doesnt sound so good... work on your front stage you'll be alot more happy

dont listen to any of this guys, having 6x9's in the back its a great idea, have u seen high end cars? they have 8, 10, 12, + speaker systems Many of them including 6x9's in the back, and im sure they dont sound like s***; if u have the system setup right u will get GREAT sound no matter what any1 tells you PERIOD.

high end home surround sound systems have speakers in the back. it is true that most of the sound comes from the front/middle speakers though. I think that a car is such a small space that once your in the hundreds of watts, sound is bounching around so much that it doesnt matter THAT much. If your serious about getting great sound, then you have to go with top end speakers, and put them in kick panels in front of you. tweeters on the a-pillar and a properly tuned bass enclosure with sound dampening behind all panels, under the headliner, and under the carpet if you want to go all out i suppose. but it sounds like he just wants something that sounds good to the average person. Good bass out of his subs, and decent mids and highs for good clarity.

Now by your standards, this is a bad setup, but for the average person, getting into sound dynamics, dampening, and screwing with all sorts of different crossovers and amplifiers with dual batteries is not what they consider fun. they just want get in their car, turn the stereo on(or up if you never turn it off) and listen to music.

6x9's facing frontward towards the windows sounds ok. might give a slight reverb effect coming off of the windshield. since you will hear the door speakers first and then the 6x9's coming off of the glass milliseconds later. sounds like it will fill the car with good midrange if he can tune it right.

on a side note, you might want to move the 6x9 boxes around/different angles n such before you permanently bolt it down. kind of test out what sounds best.

mynameisaric said:
on a side note, you might want to move the 6x9 boxes around/different angles n such before you permanently bolt it down. kind of test out what sounds best.
Exactly what i was about to suggest.

Dude, you got the speakers for cheap, they are by no means crappy, and you aren't looking for real high end sound. I say do it. They won't sound bad, and if need be, you can always remove them.

Mount them on the back hatch. Granted you'll have to take them out of the boxes, but if you do it right you could almost kinda make it look stock. Sorta. Lots of cutting of plastic pieces though, and they might be too deep depending. You might not even have enough room.

OK forget that, terrible idea. It might be kinda cool to have them in the center console...

Back