Anyone ever try using propane like this to save gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever try using propane like this to save gas

mattlws6

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
http://www.youtube.com/user/orangerx1#p/a/u/0/jOFtDbdK3BU

It is a regulator that works off engine vaccum and 20 in vaccum (idle) the valve is shut. As you accellerate the engine vaccum drops and valve lets small amounts of propane in preportionate to your throttle.

Once a small amount of propane (.2-.5 cfm) is burned the o2 sensors sniff a rich mixture and start pulling gasoline (the only way it knows how to lean the mixture) until the A/F ratio is happy again. This cuts fuel 20-35% in realtime with no other side effect other then fuel economy you dont even realize it is running until you look at the instant average meter.

I was wondering if anybody else had played around with propane in this way. I see alot of LPG conversions but was curious if anyone has played with anything like this before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was on a 1994 though. I dont beleive it would work on that vehicle because the OBD1 o2 sensors would not pull gasoline. Did you have access to software that could calibrate your fuel injection? If so you could make it work on that vehicle fairly easy.

On an OBD2 motor it would automatically pull gasoline to keep the A/F right once it smelled propane.

With a wideband and tuning software though you could easily get hybrid milage out of your truck I bet. You would just have to look how rich you are running off propane on the wideband then pull gasoline manually.

A local guy has a similar functioning Australian propane kit on his hemi Ram. He seems really happy with it but the Aussie kit he bought was pricey.

What was the total cost of your setup DLK?

propane works much better in diesels

It makes more power for sure with
diesels. For gasoline I was only looking for
economy.

You will spend much more than you save.

I want to maybe try and make my own. I wonder where the beat place to mount a tank on an explored would be? Spare tire well maybe? I want to try what dlk did but on obd2.

I fill propane occasionally at the campground my family owns. If you really wanna go propane, go have a look at some Class A motorhomes. The larger ones usually have the propane tanks set up the easiest for refilling. The have a compartment door on a hinge that swings up(for the most part, some have a latch system in place). You are going to want a fast and EASY way to get to the bottle for a refill. at least 6-8 inches tall and wide because some hoses and nozzles very greatly in size. Also, make sure the bottle you buy has a overfill prevention device as well as a bleeder valve.

***When I brought up the motorhomes, I am aware of the fact they only use it heating and refrigeration of the fridge.

some coachman motorhomes do use propane assist on the engine as well

Back