My LPG (propane) conversion UPDATE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My LPG (propane) conversion UPDATE

superfestiva

Reaction score
City, State
Santo Domingo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2003 XLT 4WD
Hi:
I just arrived from the local shop doing an LPG conversion...The conversion they did is a 3d gen Lovato Auto gas kit...you can learn more about it in: http://www.lovatogas.com/www/html/lovato/it/index.html
Lovato sells the 4th gen and there is also a very well know kit named Tartarini which sells big time here in the Dominican Republic for big bucks...at the end you start saving way later than the 3rd gen...
http://www.tartariniauto.it/en/prodotti/GPLsequenziale/motore.php

There is a 4th gen model available but costs about $2000 at least...mine costs about $500 only...the 4th gen what they do is they drill holes near the fuel injectors and they put electronically controlled LPG injectors...it is secuential and controlled via computer...that's why it is so expensive...it uses the same type of tank that you use on the 3d gen, so it has the same safety features...when you shut the engine off, the whole system locks itself up...in case of overpressure in the tank (ex. big crash), there is a safety valve that prevents an explosion...

Basically this kit what it does is:
-suck the LPG to a converter which heats up the propane
-the converter uses coolant for heating
-the heat up propane enters the air intake into the manifold and that's it

You start the engine in gasoline and when the revs hit 2500 rpm it passes to LPG...there is a solenoid valve that activates the converter for this...when you pass to LPG the fuel system of gasoline shuts off...that is why they jump the fuel system to override it...you have a digital LPG meter to know when you have to fill up...
The LPG tank is made in Turkey with many safety regulations they have in Europe...plus they are ISO-9001 certified...

Funny thing is that the truck runs smoother on LPG than on gasoline...

I can send you pictures and a video of it since I cannot post anything...

Now I can take out my X without caring about the gas...:eek::eek::eek:

UPDATE!!! I made a small presentation of the LPG conversion...here's the link...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet. You'll have to report back on fuel economy. If you run out of LPG does it revert back to gasoline without problems?

Sweet. You'll have to report back on fuel economy. If you run out of LPG does it revert back to gasoline without problems?

Yes, did you see the video I did?
There is a digital gauge you have that measures the amount of LPG in your tank...when you are running out of LPG you just switch the gauge to gasoline and the engine stays on with no problem...it may bog down for like 1 second since the engine will have to burn the rest of the LPG in the manifold...
You start the truck in gasoline and when it switches to LPG you also feel it but less than 1 sec since there is no LPG in the intake manifold in that precise moment...
I can travel wherever without complaning about MPG since the LPG is SO cheap!!!

Oh, and about the fuel economy you get approx. 15%-20% less with LPG...meaning I get approx. 12 mi/gal in gasoline because traffic here is bumper to bumper creeping through...LPG is approx. 10 mi/gal...but costs 1/4 the gallon of gas!!!

Ok, can't view the video here. I can't see any reason not to do this kit then.

Ok, can't view the video here. I can't see any reason not to do this kit then.

You at work then? Watch it when you get home, since you will see many details of the work done on the conversion...ask in one of those websites if they have certified shops in your area...you won't regret it...

So far so good...I am getting 13 hwy and 10 city...not bad since propane gallon costs 1/4 of the gallon of gas...:D

The second link in the first post didn't work when I clicked onto it. In the video, it looks like you have 2 connections for the LPG (intake, and the vacuum line). Is this correct? Do you have any pictures of these connections that you could link here?

The second link in the first post didn't work when I clicked onto it. In the video, it looks like you have 2 connections for the LPG (intake, and the vacuum line). Is this correct? Do you have any pictures of these connections that you could link here?

Hi, try this link...http://www.tartariniauto.it/cataloghi.php?d=English
There you'll find a lot of useful info in english about 3rd and 4th gen LPG and CNG (natural gas) conversions...there are some certified shops in Miami I've heard...

About the pictures I can send you a couple if you want...my e-mail is: superfestiva@hotmail.com
Just let me know and I'll gladly take a couple...;)

hello there I have just been reading your post. we are having problems with our ford explorer it keeps exploding and blowing the pelnum camber to bits we have been told we need to fit a safety valve which will release any presure but don't know where to purchase one from have you any ideas we are in the uk many thanks regards denise

Hi, would you be able to add a parts list? On the video is hard to read all the numbers.
thanks

Back