Anyone Had Exp. With Interior Dye Spray? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Had Exp. With Interior Dye Spray?

adamwarner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT SOHC Auto AWD V6
I was looking at spray online to dye my seats/carpet/headliner

Looks legit, odorless, wipes clean off hard parts. Just not sure how true it is, so i was wondering if anyones ever used it before and how it came out?

Im also wondering the same questions about Vinyl/Plastic dye paint for the dash and other plastic interior pieces

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used the vinyl spray on several projects and it has worked great. No rub off or fading. Have even used it to change colors of parts. I have found the secret to be a good pre-cleaning and final rub down with alcohol before application. Good Luck.

Sorry, I didn't answer your first question. I haven't used any spray fabric dye so can't help you there. I got my spray vinyl at local auto parts store.

Years ago I used some of the spray dye on some door panels and it worked just fine. How it would hold up on seats I don't know.

Seats... I'd be really worried about transfer to your clothes should it get wet or you get a little sweaty.

Seats... I'd be really worried about transfer to your clothes should it get wet or you get a little sweaty.

Good point, wouldn't worry about it in the front much, but theres alot of bare skin on my backseats, and alot of sweat... But then again, i watched an advertisement type video for the paint on YouTube, and they used it to dye the seats...

Okay, did some reaserch, found a company that not only has interior paint, but also spray on clothing paint and stencils. Im thinking it wont leak dye if its also used for clothing... Still waiting on someone that has used it to verify tho, i dont want to be died black and blue.

Heres a link to the video i watched on this, does it look legit to you guys?

Click Me

Tough to tell from just that. If it's not too brutally expensive, I'd suggest getting a test can and spraying something either inconspicuous or some other similar fabric (beater car?) that you don't care about.

I'd know I'd be embarrassed to have such sloppy edges like that guy left on the door though. Especially if I was using the video to sell my product.

Vinyl Dye

I have had great luck with Parasol Inc. dyes and paints.

I used dupli-color Vinyl & Fabric Spray paint for my doors, center console and vents looks great. I got a lil bit left in the car i got an old seat and i will go out and spray it now and tell ya want happens.

Just went out and did it. Had a lot less then i thought and only got 1/2 of the top done with one coat and i would have done 2. I didn't feel hard and stiff and i did rub it in with a hand brush. Ill go back out in like 30 mints with a damp rag and rub it hard to see what happens.

crappy pic was taken with my web cam.
Picture0007.jpg

Picture0008.jpg

It looks legit to me, as soon as it warms up a little up here il be stripping down the interior to clean/paint everything. If this stuff works then theres endless color possibilities for the intire interior, for just a hundred bucks or so worth in paint.:thumbsup:

i'm actually having my seats reupholstered at a local interior shop. guy works out of his second garage bay and does good work for an amazing price.

but if this works, it could be used to do accent pieces

I just went back out with a wet rad and nothing came off. I then took a scrub brush and water hose, soaked down and scrub hard for 5 mints. I noticed in a few spots it faded a lil but it was only 1 coat. Im going to be doing it to my X in a few weeks now. Thanks for posting this or i would have never remembered i had a old seat to try it on that's was the only reason i never done it.

Back