anyone put subwoofers in back side panels over tires in explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone put subwoofers in back side panels over tires in explorers

adamv15

Reaction score
City, State
NORTH CAROLINA
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER XLT 96
im looking or interested in putting subwoofers in the side panels in the back of the explorer and trying to see what people think or have they done it
anyways let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Premium Sound Systems, alot of them came with a Subwoofer from the factory. They were installed in place of the 'pocket'.

Many people have also done it using ready made 'Stealth Boxes' available from JL, and QLogic. I even have plans that someone here gave me to make it from MDF....although I will go with a Fiberglass enclosure when the time comes.

Just do a search, and you'll find what you'r looking for.

Ryan

Just finished mine yesterday. 8" sony xplod in a birch ply enclosure made by myself.

sub005.jpg

I made one, but was unable to fit a decently sized woofer in the pocket. I was trying to get a 10" Infinity Kappa 10.1d in, and it wouldn't fit without some odd spacing. DOn't expect a lot of bass from it if you do it.

Check out my little site on this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/604166

Those are two 10" infinity perfect's. Each box has a volume of around .75 cubic ft, which is within recommended for the subs. I put the amp in the front of the left box. I really thing this setup is pretty much ideal for anyone with an explorer who likes to keep their cargo room in the back. I can still haul lumber, boxes, furniture, and even my bike or camping gear in the back w/o having to rearange anything but the back seats.

The subs both sound amazing, and I get a lot of good comments about the carpet. I think matching the factory carpet for the boxes really adds a quality look to the installation.

Let me know what you think, I haven't posted here in a while and I don't think many people have seen this project of mine. Good luck with your system.

Back