Anyone Tow A Car with their Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Tow A Car with their Explorer Sport?

TMack2300

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I own a 2014 Explorer Sport...
I have a 87 Grand National that i need to tow to Tennessee from Michigan...
I'm sure the car weights at least or above 5,000lbs...
Add in flat bed car trailer that's probably close to another 2,000lbs.

I'm not sure if the 5,000lb is tongue rating rate or total pulling rate...

Can i pull my car and trailer with my explorer??? I'm guessing not here just wanted some advice from those better versed in towing capacities of our Explorer Sports....
Thanks Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own a 2014 Explorer Sport...
I have a 87 Grand National that i need to tow to Tennessee from Michigan...
I'm sure the car weights at least or above 5,000lbs...
Add in flat bed car trailer that's probably close to another 2,000lbs.

I'm not sure if the 5,000lb is tongue rating rate or total pulling rate...

Can i pull my car and trailer with my explorer??? I'm guessing not here just wanted some advice from those better versed in towing capacities of our Explorer Sports....
Thanks Richard
While waiting for a reply, have you checked out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325799&highlight=towed
Some interesting pics there.

Peter

A GN does NOT weight anywhere close to 5000 lbs. The curb weight is between 3400 and 3600 lbs depending upon options. I still would not tow that size of car even on an open trailer with an Explorer. The engine may be up to it but you still have to turn and stop.

While Explorers are rated up to 5000 (properly equipped), I don't think I'd be comfortable towing that. Explorers are meant to tow smaller things like a couple jet skis or a smaller boat. Beyond that I think you'll be taxing it. If you were just going across town i'd say go for it but any more than that and I wouldn't do it. Stopping that much weight is my biggest concern.

Trailer brakes and you're fine.

Search for the other towing thread from 6 months or so earlier.

Same issue discussed there.

And read the Ford towing specs - they tell you what you can tow with your specific Explorer model.

A GN does NOT weight anywhere close to 5000 lbs. The curb weight is between 3400 and 3600 lbs depending upon options. I still would not tow that size of car even on an open trailer with an Explorer. The engine may be up to it but you still have to turn and stop.

you are correct 3400 is the stated weight...

Just tow the 2014 Explorer with the 1987 Grand National. That thing's a b e a s t!:)

While Explorers are rated up to 5000 (properly equipped), I don't think I'd be comfortable towing that. Explorers are meant to tow smaller things like a couple jet skis or a smaller boat. Beyond that I think you'll be taxing it. If you were just going across town i'd say go for it but any more than that and I wouldn't do it. Stopping that much weight is my biggest concern.

stopping with electric trailer brakes should fix that.

Trailer brakes and you're fine.

thats what i was wondering... i have a brake controller installed in my EX.
I need a trailer with electric brakes then

Yup.. if you have trailer brakes you will be fine towing that weight. You won't even feel it behind you when stopping (with electric brakes) which is the biggest thing. Also, check your state, many states require weight distribution hitches over X amount of weight (usually 50% of the towing vehicles weight). Just another thing to look into so you don't take a chance of getting nailed.

You'll need a wdh too and maybe anti-sway bar. Make sure you have tow/haul mode engaged. Keep the load inside your Sport as empty as possible. Fresh crankcase oil and maybe even rear diff oil might be a good idea. Make sure you have a trailer spare tire, decent jack (and I don't mean the crappy OEM one that comes with your Sport), tire iron that fits trailer lugs (may not be the same size as your OEM) to deal with blow outs. I also always keep an air compressor and sturdy piece of wood to place the jack on in case you have to pull over onto grass or uneven ground. Extra set of hubs and IR temp gauge might not be a bad idea either.

I highly suggest you go to a weigh station before you hit the road. Besides trailer weight, pay attention to rear axle, payload, tire ratings, GCWR and GVWR. If you're overloaded on even just one of your ratings, then you have to decide for yourself how much you want to stress your Sport. Even if you are within all ratings though, that says nothing about how your Sport will handle. Take it for a test run and see for yourself. Personally, I probably wouldn't attempt this with an Explorer but I've only towed with my wife's Limited a handful of times with about a 2k lb trailer. Did fine on flat roads. No hunting for gears. Got about 16.5 mpg. Didn't like hills very much. Struggled noticeably but got the job done. Good luck

He's going to be overloaded before he leaves the driveway. 3500 lb car and 2000 lb trailer is 5500 lbs. I know the Explorer says it will tow 5000 lbs and this is only 10% (assuming no cargo in the Explorer or GN) but if Ford would find out, say goodbye to the warranty. This says nothing of the safety of doing this as he will be overloaded by law and will be subject to fine and/or arrest.

I've towed vehicles thousands of miles for decades and sometimes there are things you are best left not doing. In my opinion, this is one of them. Get the right tool for the job.

OP ignore these people. A WD hitch is unnecessary for a single trip. Drive like you're towing a lot of weight and it'll be fine. All I suggest is trailer brakes in case you have to stop "fast"
If you intend to tow the car often, buy an old 3/4 ton truck instead

OP ignore these people. A WD hitch is unnecessary for a single trip. Drive like you're towing a lot of weight and it'll be fine. All I suggest is trailer brakes in case you have to stop "fast"

I agree mostly but would definitely consider a weight distributing hitch. Any abrupt lane changes could cause an issue without one.
You got to remember there is a lot less weight in the back half of a 5th gen compared to earlier models.

Wow, just wow. Are you going to pay for the fines/penalties/legal bills/etc for the OP?

Please advise of your route and the times you expect to be on those routes. I'll be sure to stay out of your way.

I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with that :D
But in all honesty, a WD hitch is a waste of money for a single trip. Drive 5 under the speed limit, leave lots of room with the car in front of you, and pay attention. A WD hitch would be a worthwhile investment if the OP was towing frequently. But if that was the case, a full size truck would be much better. An old f250 can be bought for cheap, cheap to insure, and tow more comfortably.

Brad don't worry. I rarely go up to Ohio. Besides, I no longer work for ServiceMaster and I don't tow much personally these days.
But ya know, if you come down to Georgia. Keep an eye out for my explorer. I'm up and down I75 from Atlanta to Chattanooga weekly. I know some curvy roads if ins you wanna race. Gimme your phone number so I can text you while we race! I'll get some pictures to post on Facebook so add me, I gotta tag you :)
If you really wanna have some fun, I know some good bars to hit up before we race.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably don't want to race any of my stuff...just some old Buicks...some with 6 spark plugs, some with 8. I'm not afraid of twisty roads either.. :D

Back