Anyone want to install an EATC unit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone want to install an EATC unit?

buckgnarly

Reaction score
City, State
West Topsham, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger XLT RIP
Anyone want to install an EATC unit?*UPDATED

We put an EATC unit into my Ranger, and it's actually a relatively easy job. Aside from the wiring, the parts are almost plug and play. My friend John (N3ELZ) from Gen-Edge helped with the rewiring, but the rest is fairly simple, even on a Ranger. Hopefully soon we will have a how to, but here it is so far.

http://www.generation-edge.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15223

mini-eatc%20dark.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep it! Unfortunately we had to install mine ASAP b/c I leave for Ft. Drum tomorrow, but I am positive John on Gen-Edge will do an extensive how to when he does his, and that will happen within 2 weeks.

Beleive me, it's SIMPLE when you know the wiring (John will post that) and have a donor Eddie Bauer.

Howdy all,

I'd definately be interested in doing this in my 01' Explorer Sport. The premium appearence group needs this option. Too nice of an interior to have those knobs! :-d What kind of price range are we looking at to do this (obviously we'll get some/all of these parts from a yard or whatnot. I see there is a parts list on the ranger site. Any information or links you have on this, I'd greatly appriciate it. Have a good'n. Peace.

P.S. I'll whip out some spray paint and match it with the radio and bezel color.

My unit and all sensors cost me 70 bucks. The biggest cost at the JY was the unit, the rest of the junk is usually overlooked b/c it's so trivial.

Here is some discussion on ORR, unfortunately I will be reporting to Ft. Drum tomorrow, so who knows when I will be back. Keep watching that link and N3ELZ over at Generation-Edge.com. He's the one who will do an extensive install instructions when he does his.

From my post on ORR.....

Not too bad actually....you need the interior temp sensor, found behind that vent next to the radio, pops right off/on.

Next you need the sunlight sensor, found in that hole on top of the dash on the pass side. Take out the airbag an it pops right in/out.

Under the hood you can find the blower motor speed controller, found right below the motor near the A/C compressor. 2 screws take it right out/in. You have to grind down the plastic moulding on the ranger and drill new holes to put the Ex in the Ranger, but it's real easy when you see it in person.

Finally you need the exterior temp sensor, looks just like the one for the OHC and found on the driver's side in front of the radiator.

Wire all that stuff up, John on GenEdge figured out the wiring, and you're done. The vacuum lines are simply plug and play, and if you know the wiring the rest is just butt splices.

The key is to find an Eddie Bauer or Mountainer for a donor, the rest is relatively easy. Hopefully John can get some pics when he installs his.

can this be done with a first gen? i have a 92 eddie bauer and i HATE the manual controls. theyre such a PITA.

Buck,
Thanks for your reply, this is definately somethin' to look into doing very soon. Props to you on your installation.

bumpity bump. anyone know if this will work with a first gen?

First Gen, good question. They had it on some SHOs I was looking at getting ideas, so if the Ex had it I can't see why you could not put it on. You might have to pull out the parts from a donor first gen Ex, but if you can find that, it's possible. Just DO NOT get the pre 95 head units that have the small buttons, b/c they ALWAYS break. If you CAN find an unbroken one, sell it to the SHO guys. I've seen them go for 100+ dollars if in mint shape

Hopefully now that I'm settled in at Ft. Drum, John on Gen-Edge is going to do his install, so you'll see a very detailed how to. Beleive me, it will be in his truck by the end of Feb b/c we are having a big meet.

IIRC a first gen uses a cable for blendoor operation. You would have to do some custom work to make an EATC work on this.

Here is what John has done so far....http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/296394/14

I think he is going to add more, but he has been having health problems as of lately.

I know of 3 Rangers that now have the EATC, including mine.

Hey, Carl!!! I didn't know you even posted over here!!! Don't know when you'll see this, being as you've been deployed.

I'm the "John" he's referring to, and Carl's a good friend. He was the first guinea pig...errrr...RECIPIENT of the mod after I figured it out. He got it first instead of me because of his being in the service, and needing to move on. However, I've finally got it in my truck, and the how-to is finished and I've posted about it elsewhere on this board as well.

Actually I was the THIRD to receive it. I did it for another friend in the service and the guy SOLD his truck two weeks later! I am still kind of pissed about that one, lol. He and I will be talking when he gets back from overseas...

Back