Anyone Who Has Installed An Overhead Console!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Who Has Installed An Overhead Console!!

yob_yeknom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Glade Hill, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT & '06 Limited
If you have installed and overhead console, and actually hooked up the wire to the vehicle speed sensor, I need your help ASAP.
Please read the following thread:
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im a little lost, what is this going to do for you

I agree. What is the need to be running the VSS to the overhead console?
Pete

Wiring the console to the vehicle speed sensor allows the console's computer to correct the temperature due to wind chill. It's not that bad not in the summer and my newly installed console reads pretty accurate without the VSS wire hooked up, but I'm sure there will be some difference in the real and displayed temperature when it is 30 degrees outside.

John, let me know when/if you find that right wire. I may want to hook mine up too.

Also, John, did you hook up the wire from the console to the dimmer switch?? If you did, does the console display dim when you turn on your headlights, kinda like the stock radio display does?? That display is too bright on dark nights, so I will take the truck apart again to hook up that dimmer switch wire, as long as it will dim the display at night. BTW: Which wire behind the dimmer switch will I need to tap off of?? Thanks.

I did wire into the back of the dimmer switch. The green/orange wire goes to the dome light wire. The black/blue wire goes to the wire to make the light come on when the door is open. The blue/red wire is for the dimmer wire. It does dim when I turn on the parking lights. The only weird thing is that when I turn the knob to dim the dash lights, the console light gets brighter. ???? I have no idea why. It's a good thing though because when I turn the parking lights on with the dash to full brightness, (which is where I always have it) the console is dim just like it should be.
I soldered the wires into the wiring harness for the dimmer switch. Pull the red clip out of the harness then pry up the little plastic tabs that hold the wire connectors in. The wire then pulls out of the back. I'll try to post a picture later.

Anyone actually done the VSS wire? Only one more day before I have to put everything back together!!

Thanks John. I appreciate the information.

I'd like to know about the VSS wire too. Anyone have any info?

bump

Come on guys. I have to have all this put back together by tonight. SOMEBODY has to have the information.

Hey Monkey Boy

I have mine connected to the VSS. I just took a look at it for you. I have the grey/black wire from the overhead console connected to the grey/black wire at the computer in the pass. side kick panel. There is a bundle of wires down there and one of them is grey/black. I just tapped into that one.

Now, this is for a 92, but I *assume* it's the same for your 95. What I did when installing it was, because I don't have a Chilton or a Haynes, was to go to the library and xerox the page out of the Chilton that had the wiring diagram for the computer. That told me which wire was for the VSS.

Good luck!

peace

Mike

BTW, my dimmer does the same thing. It dims when you turn the headlights on, but when you dim the dash lights, it doesn't dim until the dash lights are completely dim, then it returns to full brightness. Who knows? :rolleyes:

I found a gray/black wire going into the computer in the passenger's side kick panel. I was going to splice into it, but wasn't brave enough. Maybe I should give it a shot?

John, if you do splice into that wire, how will you know if the console is working any different than before (assuming it's working fine now and that is the right wire)?? I'm pretty sure mine works fine right now without that wire connected. Anyway, just let us know how it goes and if it worked. It came like that from the factory, so I'd like mine to be hooked up too.

I think I'll be able to tell if it works or not. Last night it was in the 60's here and the faster I went, the colder the temp reading got. I'll hook it up after I get back from Paragon this weekend and let you know how it works out.

yob_yeknom,

I was doing a search about wiring an overhead console.

Did you ever tap into that grey/black wire in the passenger kick panel coming out of the computer that was supposedly the VSS?

Thanks

I tapped the VSS at the dash to engine compartment connectors. This was on a 96.

RiverRat,

Where was this located, exactly?

Thanks for the info.

This is on a 96 so it might be different than yours. The easy place to splice was by the parking brake and clutch pedal area. The wire goes from the rear axle, by the fuel tank, up into the cab, behind the driver kick panel, through the firewall, and up into the EEC V computer.

If you don't have any service manuals you can find the VSS and trace the wire.

There is that tray between the seat and the door threshhold that the wiring harness lays in, and I found a grey/black stripe wire in there. Is this it? Is there an easy way to test if it's it?

Thanks.

That should be it. Easy way to test is with a multi meter.

You could also cut it and see if your check engine light comes on or speed control stops working.

I do have a multimeter. How would I perform a test, though?

I ended up splicing into the wire where it goes into the back of the instrument cluster. Temp readings worked fine after that and no probs with the speedometer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUT... I think that even if some of the trucks came with no overhead consoles it's still possible that the wiring is there... would the factory use a few different wiring harnesses? I doubt that. IMHO, if you have the complete console wiring all you have to do is find connector and plug it in... no?

Back