• Register Today It's free!

Attica II the aftermath

Kampy

Reaction score
City, State
Rio Rancho, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Ranger
The results are in, we had a fabulous time. I want to thank everyone who came and let those know that couldn't make it, Wow, you really missed it. But theres always next time.

Hopefully Anne will get the 150+ pictures loaded up in photopoint tomorrow so everyone can see what a blast we had. We did the orange trail on Sun with Matt's stock Sport and only had to strap him once and winch him once.

I personally was flabbergasted at the capabilities of a bone stock explorer sport. Most of the credit for those capabilities goes to the driver with the huge gonads. Matt my hats off to you.

Just for those who might happen to wonder, the orange trail is made for Samurai's and jeeps. It's terribly off camber with trees that are placed just right for some serious body damage. It sure as HELL wasn't made for a 125" WB Ranger. It was awesome and gave my rock bars a good work out.

Got to practice some 90 degree winching to get Matt out from under the tree he got himself wedged under. I still don't know how he did that but it sure wasn't pretty.

At one point it was starting to get scary enough to bother me so I asked Matt "Are you still in?" his response: "I was born in"

Enough for tonight. More to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yes, it was definitely a great time. Special thanks to Todd and Anne for their patience on the Orange trail. I don't know what happen with that damn tree either Todd, trying to get a better line and got carried away, no pun intended. To tell you the truth, wouldn't have mattered what line I took, no way I was going to get over that last jeep trap. Thank god you had that winch or I'd still be sitting there. So needless to say, a winch is definitely a future mod for the next trip. After I do the body lift, maybe you and I could figure out a way to mount a winch sort of like your set up?

After all said and done, I really enjoyed it. I am equally surprise at how my truck performed and I am damn proud....lol.

Ya, I was born in, it was a spur of the moment statement and you had to post it here Todd? Thanks......Dead Link Removed

Pete, you have a great rig. Maybe next time you can spend the whole weekend to really get some good wheeling. Dave, Andre and Mark, great to meet you guys too and like I told Pete hopefully we can all get a full weekend in.

Special thanks to Rich, my passenger and spotter.

See you guys on the next trip? DEFINITELY!

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 10-15-2000 at 08:22 PM]

Excellent news! Glad to hear that everyone has returned safely....I can't wait to see all the pictures...I must say When I first met up with Matt on the interstate McDonalds...
only to hear "that's quite a rig" I felt great..then after an hour detour, thank you sheriffs dept, at hick fest, I mean tree/indian festival...did we make it to the badlands.
Here we immediately were greeted by Andre on the side of the road...After meeting dave and checkin I did my tire swap....With 4 guys working on this, I was lucky only to only have my front tires wrong...Luckly the directional rotation didn't matter b/c the lack of mud...It may have helped on the trails.

Trails were great for the beginning, besides the ATV's. Dave got some good pics of everyone in the creek. We then proceded to mess around in the quarry. Here Kampy influenced me to go down some ledeges and a hill that was quite intersting for my first big manuver. It was a bit harry in the beginning not to mention all the guys whining for me to stay in a position where i was rocking for video and pictures. Everyone tinked around here until we got hungry. After a semi poorly set up photo shot( kampy's truck shoulda been turned around)we headed back to the pit stop for food. We then headed out with Dave to lead in the beginning. After the first entering drop, Andre took the lead.

We mad out way through the green trail to the peaked ridge climb. I was first to attack this and to my amazement, it was easy. Then everyone else came over with some sorta scraping of the frame, skid gaurds or step gaurds. Some scraped a little more, i.e. Dave. After a bit of rocking, we got him lose. Then came the elusive dune climb. Kampy went first and made it look like a cake walk. Dave needed some help at the top. Matt, finally took the same route after trying a side alternate route. After a few attempts, Marc made it out with a bit of a tough decision on what gear to be in, in is Toyota SR5. We then trucked it through the creek only to watch Kampy climb some tough rock ledges...I challeneged Kampy to a tough section and I would follow. What looked to be some shallow mud, was more like quicksand. Kampy laided down the law finally and ripped his ranger right through. As we headed back things got a bit wild. Dave managed to get stuck in a pretty deep mud hole. As I came back by and hit the hole at a different angle, it swallowed me too. Now, I wasn't stuck, but the mud was so slick, my front end slid sideways into daves right front quarter panel. OUCH! We both got a bit of damage but I believe mine is worse. Dave, my bottome edge of the wheel well is all curled under(tryin to make light of the situation), I think. After this unfortunate incident, Dave managed to have a bit of a slip in the mud, only to go walkin in the mud to get a strap on the truck. Marc made the attempt, but the BFG A/T's proved to suck in the mud. Then came Matt who smoothly pulled Dave out. We then all continued to walk about the first 100 yds. of the orange trail. Dave when and showered and everyone retired to home or the trashy Ramada. Right now, I'm tired of typing my first post explorer run write up. I think it was Okay for my first write up...The pictures will follow from others and I'll add some more later

Pete

write-up

Pete, looks like you already took care of the write up. All I can add here is some pictures of my own and a few words about what we did with Dave on the warm-up run before you guys came in. Anyway, like I said, I had a ball and I think it just gets better every time. For now I'm looking for a winch for sure plus I'm adding a few inches to the clearence of my rig. New set of 33's should be coming as well. My wife kind of suprised me today when I told her about our run. She just told me herself that I should get some more mods done so I can try the orange trail next time.
Cool!! I just got washing my truck too. Didn't want to mess-up my driveway so I took it to one of the drive-in type car wash. Once I was done getting the paint out it started to rain. Just my luck!!! Anyway, I can't wait for the pictures and also!!!!!!!!!! NEXT ONE!!!
Anyone knows of any other off road places anywhere closer???

Dave, I hope it was nothing serious with your alternator. Body damage? nothing new for me, always something.
Kampy, Matt you guys were just awsome. Matt really surprised me with his almost stock Sport but like Kampy said, it also depends on a driver.

Thanks everyone.
Pix coming soon.

:)...........:)

Great write up so far Pete. I can't wait to see the pictures.

I have to agree with you Pete, the Ramada sucked. You missed our breakfast, friggin disaster. Somehow the morons always seem to find me/us. I think my glass of water had a higher IQ than the girls waiting on us. Anyway we ate and moved on. As we pulled into the Badlands, GRNMACHINE pulled in behind me and we checked him and his friend in. With a little coaxing....ehem.....we got them to the quarry. We farted around there for a bit and then Todd/Anne and I/Rich wheeled over to the orange trail. It really wasn't that bad to tell you the truth. Tight and off camber like Todd said, but nothing that was too scarey, the scarey part was when we went back after lunch. We had quite and audience of ATVers after we went back the second time. They were also nice enough to stand on my running boards for counter balance, give me a push when I needed it and helped with the winch out. After the whole jeep-trap/tree/winch/bent the *censored* out of my tailpipe incident I was ready to head back. Todd agreed and we headed out. We got to a clearing and coaxed my tailpipe into submission and put it back on it's mount. Todd was really excited with this, he actually got to use his highlift jack so we could pound on the pipe mount. We headed back to the check in area, bought some stickers and left.

P.S. Don't take US 41, it sucks worse than the Ramada.

Matt I took 74 to 57 to 294 and it was a breeze rollin at 70..a cake walk....Sorry to hear about breakfast, maybe I can hear an elaboration if there is more to the story...How was Todd's winch, I really like those hydraulic winches and I'm crazy over his set up. That is so sweet! I'm jealous and want the same thing on my rig, sorry, I'll change it up a bit so I don't copy it.
Man, I wanna see the pics and am ready to plan the next one..although maybe I can plan my times out so I can go home monday and stay all day sunday
Laterz
Pete

True about the Ramada. I could never get a straight answer from anybody there. Good thing I only stayed there overnight. Lafayette was better. As far as 41 goes, on my way back to I-74 I was stuck in a row of vehicles following what later appeared to be a farm vehicle moving at about 15 mph. 5 miles of driving this way kind of reminded me of trafic we get every day here in Chicago. Pete, I hope your gf didn't get scared too much and she's ready to do some more wheeling. I'm still trying to convince my wife to go with me. She just says that it's my game and I should go at it alone but every time I go she first takes all the info on my life insurance policies.......lol.

Anyway, I was saying,,,,,, we should do this more often. As long as we can get some guys together we should.

Later,

Andre, she(Adrienne) loved it. I don't know that she is as into it as Anne, but she wants to go on our next run. I'm gonna go for the best western in Danville unless people know better. Where are all those pics at andre? Not even teasing us by posting a few?
Pete

PICTURES

Now, it's not that easy you know. I want these to be developed by a proffesional. The place I always take my pictures to was closed today so I have to go back tomorrow and should have the pix late, might be very late tomorrow night. Not to worry. I'll get them as soon as I can.

Well, time to crash. Got a load of things to take care of waiting for me at the office.

Later,

:)

Pete, I thought the same way about the ATVers at the beginning just like you. After Sun. that changed. When Matt got lodged sideways under a tree they were happy and willing to help him out. They helped with the winch and everything. I see it as like everything else in the world. You mostly see the people are out there for themselves and don't care about anyone else. But there are still those that are happy to help.

Hey, Kampy even recruited one of those ATVers to this website. His (I thing) Sport is itching to be modified. He said he will be glad to go with us next time if his truck is up to it.

Andre, I take it that wasn't a digital camera. It looked to me like a digital camera, which it would take little time to put on the computer, but if it were a 35mm camera, then I understand the wait. Rich, no doubt that the ATVers are good guys, but I felt that there were also quite a few who were pretty reckless in their driving when we were around.
Pete

Everybody is on their own out there although as soon as they see fellow off-roader in trouble they are willing to help no matter what. They know that sooner or later they might be the ones needing help. First time we went there I got high centered on one of the hills just like Dave this time and there was a bunch of jeepsters and a guy in a heavily rusted I think it was a Chevy stoped to offer help. He, the Chevy guy even wanted to pull me off that hill with his rig. I mean that's the way it is. Problem was that this time around there was a lot of ATVers around and that looked kind of scary sometimes when you're going up hill and they're coming at you. I wish they had places only for trucks with no body else allowed.

Wishfull thinking.

Later,
Film was dropped off, pix later tonight, after work.

Ya know, I'm amazed to see that Riff hasn't replied, I figured we'd have heard something at least in regards to how his weekend went with the lift.
Pete

I have called Riff at his parents house and left a message as soon as I walked in the door after Attica. Never heard from him though. Will we hear from him again?? Riff, c'mon, don't keep us in suspence! How's the lift coming? We want to know cause we want to plan another run.......

Got some of the pix back,,,,,, looking good!

:)

Sorry fellas!!!!

Andre, I tried calling you, but all i got was ringing!! don't you guys have an answering machine?!

I'm glad you guys had a blast!!! I'm Sooooooo jealous!!!

so did you make it start to finish Orange? eh? eh?

well...on sunday afternoon, w\ the help of a mechanic, my father, a 10 foot pipe (to lift the axle with), 2 jacks, 4 jackstands......and a hell of a lot of cuts on my hands/arms.....the ***** went together. brakes are bled, pitman changed. only thing left is the alignment(tomorrow), and the custom lower shock mounts(wednesday).

Can i get an AMEN, brethen?!?!

ok..so who wants to go back? lol....

that rocks you guys had a blast! can't wait to see the pics!!!

He is alive!

Great to hear it is together. Sounds like it was quite a pain. None the less it seems as though it is going a bit better for ya now Riff. As for goin back, I'm game for something before the years out.
Kampy- On your winch(i checked your photo point age for this) were those brackets all custom or did they come with it?

Pete

RIFF!

Ya man, you missed a good time Scott. I don't know if we did the entire orange trail because it was badly marked. Most of it was obvious until there was a fork or something. I think we did 75% of the trail and then we got into this area that was slop and ruts and no where for us to go. Todd and I split up to get out and then we went to lunch. We went back to the spot where Todd got out and thought the orange continued there. So, we went down there and that's where it got hairy, for me that is. Todd was ok, but I just didn't have enough rubber to get over the jeep traps. I got caught on my frame on the last major jeep trap and then almost as soon as I got out of that one I was against a tree. Definitely need a spotter on this trail or at least someone in the passenger seat. I must say it was damn cool, what a rush going through that trail. I have to especially thank Todd and Anne for hanging out with me all day Sunday to do the trail. I know Todd wanted to go, but I am still thankful he was there and with winch. It's nice to have someone who knows what they are doing.

Ya, next time I am at the Western.

Ok, enough about the orange trail. I love the whole park, everything about it. I liked the green trail, going through the tunnel part with the jagged rocks. I love the the fact that some of the trails have to be thought out, looked at and discussed. It's very gratifying. I thought the quarry was great too. Little ruts here and there, hills and puddles, it's like and 4x4 playground! Everybody is really nice, willing to help and not to get sappy, but I had a great feeling leaving that park. When a bunch of people get together with the same sort of interests, it's a hell of a time. My only 4wheelin experiences have been by myself or someone with me in my truck, but nothing serious. This was the first SERIOUS wheeling that I've ever done and I'm hooked!

Any pics up yet?!

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 10-16-2000 at 06:02 PM]

Matt, You couldn't have pulled Kampy out of there with a winch :D. He was loving every minute of it. He was really in his element. I know he didn't want you to get stuck but I'm sure he was excited getting to use his winch. You made his day :D Thanks!!!

I had a blast taking pictures. The whole weekend was excellent!! Glad I got to meet everyone.

Riff, I dont' know if I can handle you, Matt and Kampy wheeling together. You are all to much alike. Wild and crazy!

Thanks all!!

Lacking anything better to do and eager to see the picks, I'm posting again.

Pete, we took 41 to see if it was faster, but it wasn't. It has lights and only 2 lanes. About half way up we drove over to 65 and took it the rest of the way. Detailed my truck after work. Can bairly tell it was even out of the garage, well, except for the mangled nerf bars. I'm not sure they can even be called nerf bars any more. Scrap metal sounds good! Hehe, I took them off, they are pretty ugly. Todd, the nerf bar on my side that lost the front cap was push back 2 inches. The brackets are toast. I'm glad I had them on, no body damage. They are leaning in my garage, draining muddy water. After inspecting the under carraige, I found a dinner plate sized dent in my fuel tank. Adding a skid plate for the tank to my list. Does anybody know if the tank is mounted to the body floor or the chassis?Everything else looks good, no damage. I think just Todd, Anne and Rich saw how dirty the inside of my truck was on Sunday. Had to convince girlfriend to get in to goto dinner, but it cleaned up real well. I showed here the video and she's in for the next trip. She said that my next mod has to be something for her to hold onto.

I learned a lot from this trip, what works and what doesn't. I think with my set up, I'm going to go with a 3" body lift and 32/33's which ever fits. Todd and I talked about the Trailmaster lift and having these torsion bars with a 4" suspension lift just won't cut the mustard. I need to move my exhaust to the side or maybe just cut it off after the muffler and get a bolt on tailpipe to deflect it down.

Well, don't want to bore you guys with the details.

Are those pics ready yet?

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 10-16-2000 at 06:29 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chile,

I figured, seemed like he was having just as much fun as I was.

How about those pictures? Did you guys load them to photopoint yet?

Back