• Register Today It's free!

Attica Attacked: The Aftermath

BigDave

Reaction score
City, State
River Forest, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
I just got home tonight after "attacking" The Badlands at Attica, Indiana. This was the greatest four-wheelin' experience I've had. Well, ok it was only the second real off-roading I had done, but it was the best. I want to thank Kampy (and Anne), Cameron, Andre, and Riffman (and friend) for driving the long distances from their homes to make this possible. This was a great run. I hope that more will be able to go next time and perhaps make this an annual or semi-annual event. There's trails for all levels and setups, I know because I went stock and Kampy was running lockers front and rear and a 4" susp. lift and we were both able to have fun (Kampy did some amazing stuff today, at least I thought it was).

A complete write-up will be done as soon as I get pictures from the various parties that attended. Cameron said that he will have pictures from the morning up at his site by Monday. I should have a write-up, complete with photos, by Wednesday.

Thanks again to all that attended (sorry for making incorrect and missing altogher key turns on the way to the park Andre)I had a blast and can't wait to wheel with you all again.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, what runs where there for the stocks? i have a stock 4x2 99 XLT and had not been able to find anyplace to go 4wheelin, or 2 wheeling. what did u get to do? only fun that i had had was at some abandon field and a little incline here and there. send me some pictured if u can. swak6287@hotmail.com

Shabang!

Let's do it again soon!! I don't think I ever got my truck this dirty. These beasts can do mighty amazing things. Even in a stock 4X4 you can hit a few areas at Badlands. I know it since the only upgrade I have on mine is 31X10.5 tires on 15X8 rims. Even Riff with just 2" body lift done some wacky things and man!!!!! Kampy was just amazing!!!!

Thanks all for great time!!
:D
I hope we do something real soon.
Pictures are comming soon.

PS Someone mentioned Colorado????

one more thing

also I hope to see the rest of the pictures. I only kick myself for not taking my camcorder with. I would love to see Cameron fly again after hitting that hill a bit too fast and see me high centered on another hill, sitting on my rocker on one end and tank on the other. Kampy and Riifman going through that dry wash? oh yeah!

and to others, there isn't much room for 4X2's at Badlands except for parking lot and pit stop. Sorry. And everybody else, don't try the Green trail without a serious lift and big tires on your rig. Not recomended.

Later all,
:d

well.....

I dunno about wacky....or just plain crazy. I went again today at about 10:00 or so....just beatin around a bit....and of course got stuck!!!! It was in some pea gravel and my tires just sunk in!! I had to inlist the help of some j**pers who pulled me out after an hour of tugging both forwards and backwards....then they took me through some of the other trails back there. It was a blast, but they were pulling me out, over, around, and everywhich-a-way constantly. Now i understand why they don't recomend a long wheel base. I think that explorers can do it all w\ a lift +33's. then there's no problem.

Anyway...thanx for all you guys showing up and wheelin. If we do it again...IM IN!!!! I'll change my schedual just to work it.

Kampy, thanx for the coachin!! I would probably have a lot (more) body damage if it weren't for you.

Anyway...my pics will be online in about a week or so. so i'll post back when they're up.

later

I just brought my film in this evening. I am having the pictures developed to CD so they look good. I will then post the high-res pictures on my web-page.

Andre, I would really like a real copy of the V-picture. I think that really sums up the weekend. If you can get doubles made of that picture and send a copy to me I will probably frame it. I'll pay for the cost of developing the second copy of pictues and postage. Let me know.

Riff, are you scanning you pictures too or getting them developed to CD. I would like copies of your photos too.

Kampy, I emailed you already.

Cameron, you had a digital camera...nuff said.

Dave

The pics are here!

Well, was that a riot or what? Anyway, went to my brother's shop yesterday. Turns out that rattling that started shortly after my airborne experience over that first hill was just a bent exhaust pipe vibrating against one of the shocks and frame. A pull her, a pull there and presto! Good as new.

Anyway, after this Badlands run, I have a new respect for what these Explorers are capable of.

Okay, I'll shut up and show you the pics that I have. I wish someone would have gotten a pic of me flying over that hill. I was positive I broke something. Damn tough truck!!!!!!

I had a great time and wish I could have stayed longer

http://members.home.net/engcamron/Attica.htm

You might want to save the pics you want because this page will be coming down in a month..

Cameron,

Thanks for posting those pics. Seeing those is making all the more anxious to get mine back, but it will take an extra day because I am having them digitized and put on CD...arrghhhh. That should be a feature of the one hour deal.

Everyone else,

Well, I look forward to posting my pictures and seeing everyone elses.

Dave

Hey guys,
Great pics! Looks like you had a ball. Cameron, That hill you jumped... Is that the last scene we see? If so, all I ahve to say is DAMN! Must'ne been one heck of a ride!

Jon

Cameron,

Do you have any pictures of us in the river? Those would be cool to see. If not, no biggie. The pictures you took are great. I didn't realize that on the first hill my rear tire was down so far. (Down so far is a technical term).

Anyway, thanks again for the pictures

Dave

I was kicking myself in the but for not taking pics of the river part. I was too worried about getting out of there in one piece. Next time we go, I'll know to take tones of pics.

And YES! That hill in the last set of pics was the one I got airborne on.

coooooooooooooooooool!

My pix are comming later today. I'm on my way to MotoPhoto to get them. It was a riot. Cam, you missed the best part when we went on the second run and started a Green trail the right way. Too bad nobody got a picture of me hanging on top of the hill with no ground under either one of the tires. It took some rocking to get me off. Well, anyway, cool pictures Cameron, I hope mine are as good.

Hang in there, I'm almost there,,,,,,,,
:D

I am sitll so pumped from this run that I want to back in a few weeks if possible. Anyone up for a repeat?

Let me know if it is feasible for anyone else. This is a very tenative planning, as I still need to figure out where I'll be living for the first two weeks of August, but I really want to go again.

Let me know...

Andre...can't wait to see your pictures bud.

Dave

dave dave dave.........

Im not gonna let you back there untill you take off those fiberglass monstrosities!!!! hehehe....just kidding...Im always up for it. I have got to get 33's on my truck though. Any lifts in your future? there was a 3" body lift on ebay that didn't sell so he mights still have it. There wasn't a reserve and it was at about $45. Myabe you could get that?

[Edited by riffman on 06-26-2000 at 10:49 AM]

Riff,

You do realize that the "fiberglass Monstrosities" kept me from getting the sheetmetal damage that Andre got don't you? I'll keep them on for just that reason until I can get my truck lifted. When I do then I will have the spares that I have painted and put those on because they look nice and I don't want the row of holes showing.

Get your pictures developed yet? Did I tell you I am having my digitized and that hopefully they'll be ready by tomorrow? I think I did...

Anyways..later..

Dave

hehehehe...i found a big gash under my doors two....kinda made me sick to my stomach...

my pics are done...and im gonna go to kinkos tonight after work to scan them...i'll probably post them tonight too. I got a good one of you in the water through that creek.

Ok Andre...you mentioned it...Colorado colors run...

Anyone thinking about attending this from the MidWest area? I want to go, but I will have to check school and work schedule to see if I can make it. If yes, would anyone be interested in caravaning out there? It would be a blast to go and see colorado and show those westerners just what we can do. So any midwesterners let me know what you think about that idea...I may start a new thread for it...

Dave

Looks like you guys had a blast! I see you took a "Sport Trac prototype" with you also... actually a Ranger...

If you want to send me a trip report I'll put it on the site.

Thanks,

Rick

Trip report

I think Dave would be the best writer. Dave, if you need help, let me know. I might be able to do it. I got my pix back and there is some awsome ones there. I got a few out of focus but as you guys know it wasn't easy driving and taking pictures at the same. Most important are there. I missed only one totally when Riff went through that big puddle of,,,,,,,,,who knows what. I'll post them later as soon as I scan them.
It really was great. Now as far as going back, I'm game.....almost any time accept that I'm going to Europe for like three weeks from July 23 to August 16. Any time after that should be no problem. And definately I'm getting a lift this time and some real tow hooks, OK Kampy, I know that this Mickey Mouse tow hook that I have up front would work. Thanks God I didn't need pulling. I'm putting GM hooks on. Colorado Run???????? when is it??? can we still make it? I would love to go. My wife now after seeing the pix and viewing the video that Rick sent me (THANKS RICK!!!!)is all go!! Well??? Keep me posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, I'm looking forward to a writeup as well. Those pics that cameron has look great. Looks like a nice place to wheel. Glad everyone had fun.

Back