auto dim mirror/ headlight switch/ overhead console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto dim mirror/ headlight switch/ overhead console

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
As the title states.... I picked up an auto dim mirror/ headlight switch along with an overhead console(OHC) today from the local pick a part. The mirror and headlight switch is from a 94 Limited (250k on odometer). All this for $29.

I have a 92 and would like to install these items. My headlight switch is on the fritz (dash lights flicker, or not work at all) The switch is from a 91 and worked for almost a year flawlessly (the original 92 switch was broken).

The main point of this is, I was wanting to know if anyone out here in the forum had a more comprehensive wiring layout to install the auto dim/ auto lights. I have a haynes manual, but I really don't like it for wiring schematics. I got the HL switch and wiring to make it all correct.... just looking for a better diagram... if anyone can help that'd be great!!! CALLING ALL WIRING GURU'S!!

The Limited had the overhead cosole, which I started to nab up, but someone gutted it for the dome light. I found an overhead console from a 95 all intact. From the Limited I got the wiring harness from the OHC/ mirror to the dome light in the middle of the truck as well as map lights for the visors, and the wiring down as far as I could go along the pillar before snaking the harness under the dash and cutting it. I got the temp sensor from the grill area. I know there is a thread on installing the OHC, I just have to find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have pdfs of wiring diagrams for the '93. PM me your email address dude. It'll be a few days, I will be away for a bit.

So I guess the biggest question is do ALL xploders have the tabs to mount up the overhead console?

I've noticed that Xeek and Foxracin have installed them.

I was asking the "stupid" question before I cut my headliner... if there isn't tabs to install (as per the link that was provided) how would I go about this?

It's raining today in TN so the odds of me doing this today are prob slim to none.... plus I only want to mess with wiring once(awaiting emailed schematics).

it is my understanding only 94 limiteds had them stock.
i grabbed mine from one at the junkyard, and ripped out the wires all the way to the plug behind the dash.

im pretty sure foxracin didnt install one. but i know red.eddie4x4 did.
both of us had to cut holes for it

DSC_2200.jpg

that is a pic of the mounting plate already screwed on. do you need those two holes to get this far.
for the rest, i didnt take pics but the two vertical slots on the plate, you need to drill out your roof for those slots. if you look at the console itself it has tabs that need to be pushed in, and they wont go in without making those slots in your roof also.
the only thing i didnt do is cut a hole for the tab in the middle. it took some banging with my fist to get the console to lock into those side tabs since i didnt cut a slot for the middle on into the roof.

as far as the holes that screw through the headliner up above. mount the console into its tabs, peel back the sunglass holder and stick the screws in the holes and just take a screwdriver and tap them in. mine found the holes in the mounting bracket perfectly by doing that.

i think i cut away more headliner up top also. i want to say it wasnt fitting right if i didnt. not sure if that pic was before or after i cut more

overall it works. extra light when the doors open. i have it wired to my fan controller and for some reason its dim if the trucks running. its 100% when the trucks off. and it likes to stay at 5C(even tho its set to F) or SC now. when i shut the truck off and wait a few seconds itll display the temp.
i think thats just a bad sensor

Cutting the headliner I'm not worried about, I was asking if the mount tabs were already there so I could mount the bracket.

Xeek if I understand you correctly, the tabs are present and you have to pre drill the tabs in order to mount the OHC bracket... is this correct?

If it is the case, this makes me feel better since you have a 91.

The limited I pulled the harness from I had to cut the wires from the main harness... you mentioned a plug. The only plugs I got were for the auto dim mirror, console, and map lights for the visors.

no. your roof has nothing. the console mounting bracket has 4 holes and 2 vertical slots on each side. then theres a tab on the bottom that kinda locks it into the roof. i didnt cut a slot for that tab. i did cut for the 2 slots on the sides and the 2 holes for the screws

no. your roof has nothing. the console mounting bracket has 4 holes and 2 vertical slots on each side. then theres a tab on the bottom that kinda locks it into the roof. i didnt cut a slot for that tab. i did cut for the 2 slots on the sides and the 2 holes for the screws

wow this sounds confusing w/o looking directly at it. I'll do some searching.

I did some more searching and found a link from TRS, so I bookmarked it... this makes a bunch more sense now.

All that is left is to figure out the wiring for the auto lamps so I can use that mirror... I'm asking all the idiot questions first so that when I get the info on auto lamps, I can wire it all up at once. This way I'm not doing one job one day and finishing the rest of it another.

ever make any headway on the auto dim wiring? i am in the process right now. ever find a wire diagram?

No I never installed it. This item got put on the back burner. I have everything, I'm just waiting to pick up an 2nd gen headliner with a precut hole for the OHC. My headliner is missing the fabric anyway so I am just waiting to make a trip to a u pull it junkyard and pick up a better headliner.

I will try my best to document how i am doing this so hopefully it will help you out. This is my first wiring job so i am kind of flying blind. I don't know where most of the wires are supposed to go yet, but i will figure it out.

I will try my best to document how i am doing this so hopefully it will help you out. This is my first wiring job so i am kind of flying blind. I don't know where most of the wires are supposed to go yet, but i will figure it out.

I have a wiring schematic for the overhead console, I think it is still in my email and if so I could send you what I have.

Back