AWD or 2wd? 98 Ford explorer 5.0 limited... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD or 2wd? 98 Ford explorer 5.0 limited...

98ExploderLimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southgate CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, Explorer limited
So getting right too it. I just bought a 98 explorer limited super clean body no tears in the leather etc. It's a 5.0 with 3.73 what I wanted. But I get there and the seller let's me know straight up to that the AWD system took a crap and he had to remove the "front drive shaft" cause it didn't want to move with them on. I was about to leave but he knocked off 600 bucks off the price, cleanest explorer I've ever seen tbh interior and out. And it drives perfect. V8 is healthy and the tranny shifts super smooth. So I bought it. Only thing is it sounds like an axle in the front is squeeking.. he also still has the front shaft to re install if I want them to fix it etc. So any Idea of what it can be exactly? Also could I just remove the front transfer case if I decide to keep it rwd? I prefer AWD but what would be easier? And I've tested this, it does not roll in park. I've parked on a hill. Controlled environment and it doesn't roll lol. But I still put the e brake when I park, but any feed back would be awesome guys. Thank you very much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd keep the AWD, just my opinion.
Also.. I've got a perfectly good AWD transfer case if it helps at all.

Squeaking is probably your lower ball joints, my V8 project truck does that, lower ball joints need replacing, or greasing, depending on the condition of the rubber boot. What I'd do if I was you is get the driveshaft from him, and replace the transfer case, you'll be back with an AWD system then, your truck will also be fixed, instead of just patched, you get that satisfaction.

I would keep the AWD- thats the one thing I wish my '98 EB V8 had!

I think it depends on where you live and how you intend on using the vehicle. We've had/have both (AWD/2WD 5.0L). I prefer the 2WD. Less weight, slightly better fuel economy, less mechanical complexity, simpler maintenance. We live in the southeast, rarely experience bad weather and never off-road.

I say 4406 that thing and then you can run in 2wd till you need 4wd and have a low range to boot.

I feel the same as Koda, being in CA I would only fix it if you go offroading. Easiest would be to just leave it as is since you wrote that it drives perfect.

if you have some mechanical skills, a 4406 swap is the best way to go. you would have the best of both worlds, and more because you would still be able to use 2wd, or 4wd plus you would also have 4low. people that have done this swap have also said that the steering doesnt feel as "heavy" as well as some people have said their mileage has improved by 2 mpg.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/

I'd keep the AWD, just my opinion.
Also.. I've got a perfectly good AWD transfer case if it helps at all.
You do? Is it the factory one? I would love to swap it instead of trying to rebuild this one.

if you have some mechanical skills, a 4406 swap is the best way to go. you would have the best of both worlds, and more because you would still be able to use 2wd, or 4wd plus you would also have 4low. people that have done this swap have also said that the steering doesnt feel as "heavy" as well as some people have said their mileage has improved by 2 mpg.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/
Thanks for the reply man, I'll look into it. I would love to have the AWD system working since I go shooting in the desert hills area out here and the good spots might require AWD or 4x4 at times.

You do? Is it the factory one? I would love to swap it instead of trying to rebuild this one.

Yes, its the factory one. It worked great when I pulled it. I did the 4406 swap. I also have the front driveshaft.

Yes, its the factory one. It worked great when I pulled it. I did the 4406 swap. I also have the front driveshaft.
I messaged you, might be interested...
Thanks for the reply

Back