• Register Today It's free!

AWD transfer case

Jessp

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB 5.0 AWD
98 5.0 awd with 95K, not abused....a very clean/tight truck.

Alright I have searched for similar symptoms here and I think I have a "bad"
x-fer case.

I started hearing a grinding noise when rolling forward or backward in gear.....like at a stop light. It was coming from under the driver seat...

Pulled D-shaft......noise went away. Then "rebuilt" ie fully dissassembled/cleaned/greased the cv joint on the front shaft, ujiont is OK. Put the shaft back in...........noise comes BACK!!

So I am thinking t-case. Ford place agrees for $65. I have checked around and the cheapest thing I have found is a 50k case with a 60 day warranty for $350 shipped. When I do this or have it done I will open the old case a nd see what was wrong.

Rebuilt cases are $700 + and have varying warranty lengths.

You guys agree with my course of action? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A junkyard case is a crapshoot. Can you afford the gamble? I'd go with rebuilt.

Glacier991 said:
A junkyard case is a crapshoot. Can you afford the gamble? I'd go with rebuilt.
I haven't seen many go bad, so I say go with the junkyard case.

T-case

I know what you are saying about the "crapshoot" but I think the 50k case with a 60 day warranty should be fairly safe, if something bad is wrong with it hopefully in will surface quickly.

I wish I knew if I could fix mine by replacing some parts..........bearing or chain or ???

I think I am going to order the case tomorrow.

jess :roll:

I got mine from Ped5stang. Was told it had 60k-70k on it. Price was great, and it's been in there for probably 5k now, no problems. Send him an email and ask. He might have one, and be able to beat that price. One day I'd like to take mine apart and try to rebuild it, so if you've got the downtime it doesn't seem like the AWD would be that difficult to do.

The AWD case is easy to take apart and rebuild. My chain was slipping a tooth and I took a lower mileage case(50,000 compared to the older case of 145,000) and swapped all the parts inside the newer case to the older case. Worked and works just fine. Get a rebuild kit and you can do it. Not hard to do at all with a little mech knowledge. There is a big chain, two sprockets, some bearings, blah blah blah. All goes together easy. The reason I kept the older case was because the front output shaft was not the CV ball and socket style, it was a 4 bolt "old skool" type. I wanted to keep that.

Ped5stang is the person who has the 50k t-case I am thinking about buying. For $350 thats not much more than replacing the chain and buyind a rebuild kit.....so I think this is still the best deal.

I just wish I knew what was wrong with mine. That drivetrain.com has good prices on rebuildkits and parts. If I knew it just needed a chain, I could just do that.

I think I am fixing to order that case. We will see how involved it is...

Pull it out and take it apart. pulling it out of the truck is the most involved part of the process. My old case had some crunching for a long time when going slow or in reverse and then one day, I got on it hard and then heard a pop and then everytime after I would start out from a stop, the chain would slip a tooth or teeth and cause lot's of popping. I knew it was the chain though.

Jessp said:
Ped5stang is the person who has the 50k t-case I am thinking about buying. For $350 thats not much more than replacing the chain and buyind a rebuild kit.....so I think this is still the best deal.

I just wish I knew what was wrong with mine. That drivetrain.com has good prices on rebuildkits and parts. If I knew it just needed a chain, I could just do that.

I think I am fixing to order that case. We will see how involved it is...

If you get the case from Ped5stang, I'm sure you'll be happy. Simple transaction. Only problem I had was that I tracked the package from KS to NC, took a day off work to install it, and watched the UPS truck drive right by my house. He send the package back as "damaged in shipment". Once I finally got it, there was nothing wrong with it, and is working fine. And I can now rebuild the old case when I get some time, and have a spare. I didn't want to dig into it at the time - it was easier to get the used one.

Ended getting a '01 case with 50k for $225 shipped!!! So wish me luck. Going out to change the front lower balljoints and the broken front swaybar endlink now....

Thanks guys!

Congrats, I was going to say that $250 is a going price for used AWD cases. I have a 97 trans and AWD as spare for sale. I needed a 99-01 model for building. Regards,

Done!

Took most of the day yesterday......didn't think those 6 bolts would be so hard to get to!! I had to buy a stubby ratcheting 13mm wrench and lower the support for the tranny so I could get to all the bolts.

Thanks to everyone, and especially Joey P. and Kbabiak :D :D

I also did the TT and autzone shackles..... My truck is within a 1/4 inch front to back with TT and procomp add a leaf + shackles.

Anybody want a 90K mile case that is fully functional but makes a little noise? haven't opened it up yet?

Jess

Glad to see you got it done!

If you were closer I'd take you up on the offer of the T-Case and use it for a rebuild diary.... But then I have a couple already awaiting that treatment....(sigh ... time...)

Jessp said:
Took most of the day yesterday......didn't think those 6 bolts would be so hard to get to!! I had to buy a stubby ratcheting 13mm wrench and lower the support for the tranny so I could get to all the bolts.

Thanks to everyone, and especially Joey P. and Kbabiak :D :D

I also did the TT and autzone shackles..... My truck is within a 1/4 inch front to back with TT and procomp add a leaf + shackles.

Anybody want a 90K mile case that is fully functional but makes a little noise? haven't opened it up yet?

Jess

sp pretty much you saved over 450 bucks......time for elite memebership ;)

good to hear you got everything fixed.

Well by doing the ball joints and t-case myself I saved a lot of money and bought me a new heavier duty floor jack, and some other tools..........which is always :cool:

Jess

Back