Back Hatch Window Shattered - New Subwoofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back Hatch Window Shattered - New Subwoofer

crunchie_frog

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
I replaced the radio/receiver with an up to date receiver that had blue tooth and apple car play. I was using a non mach radio prior (display out of course) and when I installed the new receiver, the subwoofer was cracking and gurgling so I replaced with a subwoofer and able to get it installed back air tight again. Hooked it all back up, turned up the subwoofer to make sure it was working properly and everything was good. Happened to be on hip hop fm channel so there was a lot of bass blowing.

About an hour or two later, I go by the mountaineer again and I can see what looks like tens of thousands of pieces of glass from where the back window had shattered. No one was around when it happened. I would not believe it if I had not seen it myself. The new subwoofer must have sent a certain pulse or frequency through the glass or maybe it was just the air compression from the subwoofer. Crazy if you ask me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Impressive. Have you listened to some bass albums? DJ Magic Mike has some great bass songs like make the car go boom or feel the bass.

There must have been something wrong with your hatch. A pair of 15s and 2000 true watts never had any effect on my glass.

Impressive. Have you listened to some bass albums? DJ Magic Mike has some great bass songs like make the car go boom or feel the bass.
bass mekanik also has good bump

There must have been something wrong with your hatch. A pair of 15s and 2000 true watts never had any effect on my glass.
A music driven car.

Yeah, I'm gonna say the glass must have been already weakened or even cracked in order to do that. I used to run a pair of 12" Kicker L7's (square) on 2000 watts, and while that isn't anywhere close to the speaker's limits, the entire vehicle and its surroundings would often vibrate. That never caused any issues with any glass, although due to severe off-road abuse the screws holding the rear glass hinges on have come loose and/or stripped out a couple of times.

I won't say the subs aren't related to the incident, though. More than likely the glass had already been compromised before, and that constant rhythmic vibration probably just did it in. I've seen these hatch glass panels shattered at the junk yard, and they always shatter into super tiny pieces.

The glass couldn’t have been cracked previously for the same reason it shatters into small pieces. The glass is tempered for safety and basically explodes any time it’s compromised. Windshields( and newer acoustic glass) don’t because of the plastic sheeting sandwiched inside.

Yes, something must have been weak in the glass. I just thought it was funny. I mean I was so excited that my mountaineer now had blue tooth, apple car play and a working subwoofer, took maybe 4 or 5 hours on the receiver install, then another 3 or 4 hours in the subwoofer. I am thinking wow, I should have done this a long time ago, was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. Then the window shattered. I had to rush to the Pull-a-part that is 90 miles away late on Sunday afternoon before they closed so I could get a glass in before it rained. The mountaineer was parked in the driveway and glass went all in the lawn as well as all over the driveway. I have a new puppy in our fenced yard and I was afraid she would eat the glass pieces (she eats everything else) so I spent about 4 hrs or so sweeping, vacuuming, picking up pieces in the lawn and driveway. Kind of a real pain. It is just I went from a very good feeling about the new receiver and subwoofer to a less than good feeling with the broken glass. Just thought it was funny story. I know a lot more about the factory subwoofer now though. :)

Could also be somebody shattered the glass hoping to come back by later and snag your woofers?

We used to use the ceramic bits from a broken spark plug to easily shatter a car window… then bad kids we were we would come back later, nobody saw the broken window…nobody around altered to the broken glass so it’s “safe” to snatch their gear.
Yes I was a bad kid.
Yes karma came back to haunt me in my 20s and I never stole another thing from another human again in my life. (I had everything I owned stolen from my apartment one night, spent time on probation, I stole a ton of car stereos and bikes and crap when I was a teen) run with the bull you get the horns

Just something else to consider

Could also be somebody shattered the glass hoping to come back by later and snag your woofers?

We used to use the ceramic bits from a broken spark plug to easily shatter a car window… then bad kids we were we would come back later, nobody saw the broken window…nobody around altered to the broken glass so it’s “safe” to snatch their gear.
Yes I was a bad kid.
Yes karma came back to haunt me in my 20s and I never stole another thing from another human again in my life. (I had everything I owned stolen from my apartment one night, spent time on probation, I stole a ton of car stereos and bikes and crap when I was a teen) run with the bull you get the horns

Just something else to consider
Very glad you overcame the difficulties you had as "bad kid". Not everyone is able to turn things around like you did.

As far as theft being a possibility, well.,.. maybe, but, it was a $60.76 Crutcfield scratch and dent single subwoofer mounted on/in the OEM box tucked away inside the rear interior panel and total unseeable. It was in my fenced in backyard, broad daylight on Sunday in low crime neighborhood with mostly retirement age folks living around me. The vehicle also was in the middle of a DIY primer paint job on the roof and hood, taped off, newspaper's hanging everywhere. Never say never, just seems like a very low probablity, like near zero. I forgot, it was also unlocked so if it was a really, really desperate thief, they weren't using there noggin if they felt the need to break the back window.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Or, someone in neighborhood doesn't like bass, has bb gun

That's exactly what I was thinking. Or, someone in neighborhood doesn't like bass, has bb gun

That's my thought, something hard hit the glass and busted it. You should have looked around for some object that could have broken it, even a rock could have.

That's my thought, something hard hit the glass and busted it. You should have looked around for some object that could have broken it, even a rock could have.
I spent about 4 hours on my hands and knees cleaning and vacuuming every tiny piece of glass I could find. Sorry, no bbs, no pellets, and no neighbors that would do this. Weak glass and subwoofer.

That 6 inch subwoofer had nothing to do with it. The bolts probably came loose and it was a result of opening and closing the hatch.

I’ve had auto glass spontaneously shatter. It’s rare, but it happens.

I had a ranger back window sitting in the yard, a customer told me “you can’t store ranger back glass like that” I thought nothing of it… few days later I saw it was shattered by the sun/wind/rain? Still not sure how he knew or why it actually broke but I no longer leave ranger back glass leaning up against structures in the sun! Instead I keep them inside

Glass is… well glass

Back