Back to Ford. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back to Ford.

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Hello. Tradesman from Georgia here. Coming back to Ford but consider myself new to Ford. Family had an Aerostar when growing up and I've owned two late 80s, early 90s Taurus'. Needless to say, those didn't hold my interest and I'm planning a "do-over" with Ford.

Found this forum by searching for a 4cylinder 4x4 Ranger and coming across pictures of Tbar's rig. Thank you!

Defecting from Toyota, never going back. I have a strong sense of loyalty and pride of ownership. Toyota did not seem to share my ideals.

I will only buy manual transmission vehicles. Automatics make me die a little inside.

I'd like to buy a new Focus but am stuck with my (insert string of expletives here) Toyota "car" until I can reach an even level of depreciation for the mileage. I'll leave it at that.

I like to have a car and a truck.

That being said, I'm looking for a play toy. Specifically a 1995-1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 4cylinder with 5speed manual and mechanical low range gear set. Not in a hurry but will jump if I find a nice example in semi-close range locale. I plan on working on it myself thus the 4cylinder. 4.0 is a good engine but not what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or things to look out for with this truck or engine? Anything I should expect? Almost immediately upon purchase, I plan to do a complete overhaul (gaskets, pumps, belts, hoses, fluids, brakes, adding rear discs, adding 31s, etc) project. Anything else that I should add to the list? I don't plan on going mudd'n but would like to increase capability and have fun puttering around in it on "the land."

Found this little gem but it is too far away from me:
739810956.jpg

http://www.iseecars.com/Car_Listing/331256912/1995_Ford_Ranger_CRANSTON_RI.html

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd have to see if I could dig them up, I'm sure we have some, somewhere. I want to say it was an '89 but never rode in the driver's seat. It was a purdy two tone blue with matching blue interior, captain's rear seats.

Did you see the Top Gear episode where Tanner drove a 5speed Aerostar?

That is the episode, indeed. Pretty cool to see a manual Aerostar.

Back