Bad CPS and misfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad CPS and misfire

badkarate

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport Trac
I own a 2003 Sport Trac 4wd with the 4.0L non flexfuel. On the drive home from work yesterday the check engine light came on, and the vehicle was running rough. I took it to autozone, had codes pulled, and it said the crank position sensor was bad, and there was a misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced the CPS, and that got rid of the check engine light. The truck is still running rough at idle though. Since both issues showed up at the same time, I assumed that the misfire was caused by the bad CPS. The only thing I cant think of is that there is a relearn period for the sensor that hasn't been completed, since I have only driven about 7 miles since replacing it. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No ideas? How about the ignition coil? Also self bump

Has it thrown another code? Did the P0303 misfire code go away? If not I'd say wires/plug. What was the original code NUMBERS, you know?

harmonic balancer

Make sure that a separating harmonic balancer did not cause your crankshaft position sensor to fail: Harmonic balancer failure

I doubt that there is a long relearn period. Your engine may still be misfiring but not enough times to set the CEL.

Made a mistake on the code I stated previously. The codes I received were a P0304 and P0316. Currently the check engine light is off. I went to autozone 15 minutes ago, and there were no new codes to pull, and the old ones were no longer there.

All fixed. The plug wire was pretty crispy towards the plug side. Replaced it and all the problems went away. Thanks for the help folks.

Back