Bad Headgasket? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Headgasket?

Sounds like you coulda cracked the head

I hope you didn't but I had to replace the heads on my 4.0 and found a nice new pair at King Cylinder Heads. I just checked and they carry these 5.0's too. http://kingcylinderheads.com/ I hope its not the case but just an FYI if you need. They saved me a TON of $$$. Good Luck. Mike

I had to replace my radiator two years ago. Mine started leaking between the core and the tank just below the upper radiator hose inlet. If it ends up being the radiator replace the water pump while you are at it. It will be much easier and cheap insurance.

I had to replace my radiator two years ago. Mine started leaking between the core and the tank just below the upper radiator hose inlet. If it ends up being the radiator replace the water pump while you are at it. It will be much easier and cheap insurance.

Alright, well where to start. I pinpointed the radiator sidetank to being what is leaking the coolant. Tonight was the first time I ever noticed a dripping leak, and I also noticed the lower control arm was wet....guess that's where my coolant was leaking from after all. So looks like that is where I am going to have to start. I also went to the firehouse I volunteer at and used our thermal imaging camera for what its worth....I. drove the truck around until the gauge said it was at the hot line, and then hit it with the camera. The motor was only registering at right around 190 degrees and a buddy of mine who works at a Chevy dealer said that is not anywhere near overheating temperature and that it is at normal operating temperature. My heat is still working fine, and as of tonight what I thought was smoking possibly was just steam and condensation that went away after the truck warmed up as it should...

So all in all, looks like a bad radiator, combined with a bad temp sensor....sound about right? Thanks in advance as always!

Sounds right to me.. but like Dan Whitaker said I would also replace your water pump. Don't go cheap here buy a high quality pump cause I've seen the cheapys go bad very prematurely..

Back