Balance Shaft Chain Replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Balance Shaft Chain Replacement?

BillRod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hi All

Son's 2000 Explorer, 4.0L SOHC, 4WD, Auto.

Can the Balance Shaft be changed without removing the Girdle?

We pulled the motor, have the main timing chain and left timing chain/cassette removed and would like to also do the balance shaft chain but would prefer not to pull the girdle if I don't have to.
(Will also replace the right chain/cassette assy once the left is done)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Bill

probably not without damage

I know that some members have pried off the balance shaft chain rather than remove the block cradle to replace a failed tensioner. The guide is almost straight against the chain so removing it would not gain any slack but removal may be required for chain to balance shaft sprocket clearance.
BlncShft.jpg

The tensioner provides considerable chain deflection. You might try depressing the tensioner to see if you can get enough slack to remove the chain. In my opinion the balance shaft chain tensioner is one of the least reliable chain related components. If the block is out of the vehicle I would take the time and effort to replace the tensioner unless it has been previously replaced. If you need the engine assembly instructions that show how to align the cradle with the block PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Yes. You have to remove it to get to the bolts holding the spring tensioner in place. They're long bolts too. You have already done the hard part by removing the engine so you may as well do the balance shaft tensioner. Also if that tensioner fails, and they do, it will make a very loud constant engine noise as the edge of a metal leaf type spring will be rubbing directly on the chain.

Back