bats 88 Bronco II Build Up aka Project Second Chance | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up aka Project Second Chance

3”!!! Ttb should be more
Like 8-16” of travel lol
It's embarrassing how little travel the front has. Haven't found the right springs for this setup. The early bronco(?) springs I had in there were almost fully compressed at idle and gave the truck a rake. Truck sits nice and level with these stiffies but not too friendly on the kidneys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much lift? Skyjacker makes a really nice 2” coil and also a 6” you can no longer get the 8”

How much lift? Skyjacker makes a really nice 2” coil and also a 6” you can no longer get the 8”
Currently has the Skyjacker 134S springs so 4 inches. I throw my weight on the hood and it barely compresses even without shocks.

Interesting! I show those as a rwd ranger coil not sure why they won’t flex well for you on the ttb??? Should be right around 600 psi spring rate

I found this chart on The Ranger Station that has spring rates of common lift springs. The Skyjacker 134's have a rate of 480. Free length of 17" and compressed down to 15" with the weight of the truck.

Looked through my notes and found the I used the Wild Horses Early Bronco 2 1/2 Inch coils which have a 240 first rate and 375 second rate. Wild Horses also has 4 1/2 inch coils with springs rates of 1st rate is 229, second rate is 375. That might be what I need to sit level and get some flex back.

Years ago when I was trying to find the perfect spring rate for my Ranger, I thought that something less than the 400 that my skyjacker? coils had would be ideal.

Ah 480 cool that this info is avail these days

So my calculations were correct....sort of. I ordered the 4 1/2 inch Early Bronco springs which ended up being too tall. The TTB drop bracket does have two sets of holes, 4 inch and 6 inch lift and I'm on the 4 inch option. The rear sits nicely so I don't want to play with things too much.

My solution was to cut two coils off the new springs which made them about 1.5 inches taller than the Skyjacker 134s. I reused the same full size coil seats as last time. Same Bilstein shocks.

The trimmed coils were installed just before Christmas and looks like the truck settled in to it's original ride height. Definitely more flex when I jump on the hood. I'm going to call this good enough, even if I need a small spacer to level things later.

Brakes still need bleeding because I was excited thinking the coils would be an easy swap and got wrapped up in them first.

Back