• Register Today It's free!

Battery relocation wiring

danlong

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
I'm about to mount an Optima Yellow Top battery in the back of my Explorer, where the factory subwoofer would mount. My question is, when running the new cables, what's the best way to connect them? Battery "+" to starter, then a cable from the starter to the relay? I've already run the wire from the relay to the solenoid.
Thanks
Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not recomend mounting a battery inside the passenger compartment. When charging, a battery can and will emit toxic gasses (smells like sulfer) and if mounted in the passeger compartment, you will be explosed to these fumes. You may never notice anything, but the gasses will be there. If you feel that ou need to mount a battery in the passenger compartment, you can get a battery designed for a european car that has an external vent that can be routed outside of the vehicle.

I was always under the impression that Optima's were completely sealed batteries so nothing would be spilled or evaporate into the air?

That's why I'm using an Optima, they're completely sealed, and don't need a vent tube.

These guys are correct. Optima's ARE completely sealed units. As a matter of fact, you can mount an Optima battery so that it HANGS from the roof of the vehicle, with the terminals pointing DOWN, and it won't affect anything.......try THAT with a conventional battery.

Ryan

Yup

Optima batteries are NOT completely sealed. Take a look at one and you will notice two small round white vents in the top of the battery. The reason an Optima can be mounted in any location is because they have no liquid to run out. All the electrolite is suspended in a mesh cloth which sandwitches the lead coils. Like I said before, an Optima battery WILL vent toxic gases while being charged and therefore it is not recomended to mount one in an inclosed interior.

I must apologize Mike, you are correct about the Optimas. I was under the impression that they were completely sealed and could be run safely in a non-vented situation, but after some more digging on their website, I found this not to be true. They do say that with properly regulated charging they should not emit any gasses, but in high temperatures and extreme situations it is possible and they should not be placed in a non-vented compartment.

Now I've got to rethink my plan, the Optima was going to be a perfect fit for that location. I know that most of the new Pontiacs and Cadillacs mount their batteries under the rear seat, and I believe they have a vent tube running outside the car, but I seem to recall those batteries being fairly large. Oh well, time to do some more searching....

(edit) After doing a little research, I've found that several of the BMW's use a battery with a vent tube that can be routed to the exterior of the car. I've got an Interstate dealer close to my house, I'm going to stop by and talk to them in the morning as well.

The original question still has not been answer though, what would be the best way to connect these wires?

all sealed Gel and Glass mat absorbtion batteries can and will vent gases if overcharged.

My friend mounted his battery under his rear seat and it caused a fire. Never ever move a battery from its OEM spot. I went to a New Vehicle Rescue class and they showed us locations of batterys in the newer cars. Most BMWs have it in the truck and the Chrystlers have some of them in the wheel well. I know a lot of folks on here have done this before. I don't reccomend it at all. Plus if the battery bursts or catches fire under the hood. You are more protected then it before inside of the Vehicle.

If you by chance still want to hook it up. Run the wires on the interior trim by the doors. You can pock a larger hole where the Hook latch cable goes and connect it to the battery.

Fordexplorer157 said:
Never ever move a battery from its OEM spot.

That's being kind of silly to say that.... as long as the proper precautions are taken, getting the battery out of the engine compartment can have many benefits.

I know how to run the wires, I'm asking what the best way to connect them is... basically like a wiring diagram, not what type of connectors.

Are you eliminating the stock battery or adding a second?

I'm just relocating the "stock" battery.

Why are you even doing this? Won't the added resistance from extending the cables have some ill effect?

My K&N cone filter now sits right where the battery used to, for one. Also, it helps weight transfer and balances out the truck a little better, plus it'll be closer to my amps when I start my audio install. As far as the resistance of the wiring, as long as you use a high quality, large gauge cable, it won't be an issue.

I was under the impression that the Optima's were Sealed Batteries. I was wrong.

Coming from the Drag Racing world, I know that Moroso does make a sealed battery box that is NHRA certified to be sealed sufficient enough NOT to require a rear firewall. If you use ANY other type battery box in the 'trunk' area, you will require a rear firewall. But not with the Moroso Box.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=42001

Ryan

Just move it to the other side of the engine bay.....I have dual batteries, and the second one is on the driver side of my 92....

:( I don't want it in the engine compartment, that's part of why I'm moving it, as well as the other things I've already gone over.... not to mention the overflow and w/s washer tank is in the way on that side.

You can move your tanks to the side the battery was originally in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd run the cable to the main soleniod on the passenger inner fender, then piggyback one from there down to the starter.

Back