• Register Today It's free!

Belt Problem?

robnewmanator

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
I'm new the board, and was hoping that someone out there could help a newbie????

I have a '98 Eddie Bauer and when I went out this morning, the car started fine. The problem is that the battery light came on and the steering wheel will not turn....I was think power steering fluid (duh), but called the mechanic anyways. He seems to think that it's the serp. belt. He wants me to drive it down 1.5 miles.

Am I going to cause any serious problems by driving? Does his idea of the belt make sense?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope and yes.

The same thing happened to be off-roading last year. BE careful, you cna only driv eit for a sort period, the engine will start to heat up since the water pump is not going. Also, the alternator is not charging the battery as well. But your main concern is slowly getting down to the shop, even stopping to turn off the X to let it cool if it over heats. (If your setup is the same as my 5.0 belt)

pop the hood and look under there... is the belt on and does it have any advanced sight of wear?

i had a problem similar once on my 4.0 when i got it... the belt broke off while i was driving it.... i then noticed the radior overflow was steaming.. i was like um..... didnt notice until later there was no belt at all....

Back