Belt tensioner broke!! help!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt tensioner broke!! help!!

lots of help

I have had a 98" explorer for a few years and love driving it .but thing start to were down and brake .thanks to this web site I am able to fix all the problems that I have had and in simple ways to read and learn how to fix each problem
so just like to say thank you and safe driving from ALL THE WAY FROM TASMANIA AUSTRALIA thank you

I have a '99 Explorer with the SOHC and I have a similar problem. The only difference is that my drive belt tensioner broke OFF. I haven't even had a chance to look at it yet because it happened last night when I went to start my Explorer to leave work, and it was pouring down rain. All I know is that when I tried to start it up I heard a loud clank and when I went to investigate my drive belt tensioner was lying on the ground. :(

Any input would be helpful although I'll probably end up having it towed to a garage because I don't really have anywhere to work on it and it looks like I would have to remove the fan shroud to gain access to it. I really don't need this, especially so close to the holidays, need money for other things.

Deja vu! Mine happened last night, leaving work, in a downpour. This morning I look and the inside circular area around the bolt is gone. Found a replacement online at Rockauto.com for about $30 shipped. Autozone was $45 and Advance was $44.99. The one from Oreily is a Gates which sells for $27 at Rockauto.com which with shipping is $36.42 with shipping. I'll pay the $50 just to have it RFN from O'reily's though. My exploder has 189,000k on it so it's not like it hasn't earned a new one.

Back