best 500 watt amp @ 2 ohms Rms

Krzyboy2o

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 2wd
budget $150

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mtx 342, rated to only be 4 ohm stable. my brother runs two of them at 2 ohm mono. Make plenty of power and run fine. cost just about exactly $150

Actually in all reality that MA amp is probably only putting out about 500watts. Lower name brand manufacturers tend to over-rate their power output. If you want an amp that actually puts out what it says look for the "CEA 2006" designation. Alpine, Rockford Fosgate and MTX to name a few, all belong to this voluntary power output standard.

Actually MA is not a low end brand... ever test their 4000d amp.... didn't think so... puts out much more than its rated... how bout the sy7011dx, no, didn't think so either.... Thats only why a few world records were broken with MA gear...

Just because its not in everybody's car, doesn't mean that its automatically overrated.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the CEA standards, its about time this was organized... I am hoping the anaba group will join in as well (the makers of MA), to prove naysayers like yourself wrong....

I actually just bought a Phoenix Gold XS2500 2channel amplifier that is stable to 2ohms bridged. I have it running in that configuration right now and it works great. It puts out 500Wrms at 4ohms bridged so I would guess I'm getting about 750Wrms out of it at 2ohms bridged. It's a great amp, got it for $130 on ebay! This model line is about 6 years old but they rock!

Phoenic Gold makes a great amp!

tell us what you end up getting... I'll be asking a similar question this summer.

I would say spend like 20 more bucks and buy a jbl bp600.1 mono amp, i have that hooked up to my 3 mtx10s in my car and i have their 1200 watt version in my EX, both pound and are great for the money.

davesexplorer said:
Actually MA is not a low end brand... ever test their 4000d amp.... didn't think so... puts out much more than its rated... how bout the sy7011dx, no, didn't think so either.... Thats only why a few world records were broken with MA gear...

Just because its not in everybody's car, doesn't mean that its automatically overrated.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the CEA standards, its about time this was organized... I am hoping the anaba group will join in as well (the makers of MA), to prove naysayers like yourself wrong....

Dood, calm down. I wasnt flaming you, I have been into audio for a LONG time and have dealt with MA (Mobile Authority) ever since they came around. I have seen a LOT of people heartbroken by their claims and reliability. I'm not saying they are crap, im just saying they overrate their products. No need to get offensive. :)

Oh I wasn't mad, nor thinkin I was flamed... Just backing a product I've used for about 2.5 years... And I see now where your thinking is coming from, MA Audio is not Mobile Authority.... They are all owned by a big company Anaba Corp., which also owns Visonik, Clif Designs and others... I agree Mobile Authority is the lowest end stuff you can get, along the lines of Power acoustik and legacy etc. but MA Audio>Mobile Auth.

Yup, Im not offended in any way, just offering differing opinions on products that I've used.... It just kinda sounded like another "if you dont have a mainstream brand, then its crap", post.. I see where your coming from though... I've stuck up for MA many a times in the past, and am great friends with a MA dealer..... (he also sells adire, which is also a great company.) So its all cool man.....

Right on. :)

For the price MA Audio is great equipment. They are a very impressive company.

davesexplorer said:

Do not take this the wrong way please, Im not flaming anyone. But here it goes.

I HAVE tested the MA sy 7011x and hk4000d. They put out way less than there claims.

7011 @ 18.0 volts 48 volts(a/c) and 28 amps = 1344 watts

4000d @ 18.0 volts 112 volts (a/c) and 28 amps = 3136

MTX 1501d rated at 1000 RMS at 12 volts and 1500 at 14.4 @ 2 ohms:

1501d: 75 volts a/c and 40 amps at 18 volts @ .7 ohm load 3000 watts

Theres about a dozen or more ppl on termpro alone that will disagree with that^^ I am not doubting youre testing methods, just that I've seen nothing but higher ratings than what they said.... Did you have 14v constant or drops below 12 volts, cuz that amp pulls A LOT of power, upwards of 400 amps...

Actually I have an article in Performance and Auto Sound where they tested the 4000d @ 14.4 volts and got 4800 watts @ 1% distortion..... I can try and scan it in if somebody would like to see it...

@ 12v output was about 3200 watts tested.....
@ 17v 1 ohm output has been tested from 5200-5600 watts

I'm just telling you my test results. I use to compete for MA Audio, when Joe Loomis was head of the Anaba Teams. Im not saying its bad equipment, but it doesnt do its rated power. You must remember my test are reative loads, not unloaded or direct shorts on coils like the car audio manufactures or magazines do. I do my test with actual woofers hooked up, with an impedence rise. My test are real world power. you ever tried testing the output a any amplifier while it is in your car playing? you only get about 50% of the power out of your amplifier b/c of impedence rise. The is know way possible for you to start at say a 1 ohm load before the woofer is playing, with the coil resting, and continue to stay at 1 ohm with the coil in motion. If you have any question about how to do a "real world test" not a lab test let me know.

anyone heard of solid audio?

Back