• Register Today It's free!

Best Differential fluid ?

Pipelayer

Reaction score
City, State
Gary, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport Coupe 4WD, SUV
I had my differential fluid change and the vibration in my Explorer SUV stopped.

This problem confounded several mechanics, including Ford Dealer repair, they wanted to replace my transimission for $3000 plus dollars. I also posted my problem on this and other sites but no suggestions worked. Actually, it got fixed accidently, I went to get an oil change and they informed me that my differential fluid was dirty, they had no idea that there was any problems with my vehicle. I told them to go ahead and change the differetial fluid and low and behold the vibration that occured during accelaration and decelartion stopped.

After about 6 months it's starting to vibrate an little more again, but far from what it used to do... and I do mean far. I was told by one mechanic that there is a recommend fluid that you should use in the differential to get rid of this problem. I have been told by several people that the fuild Ford uses is not that great.

Does anyone know the best fluid to use for the differential ?? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Amsoil synthetic. Good stuff.

I use Amsoil Severe Gear as well. 75W140 in the rear (limited slip) and 75W90 in the front. I sunk my truck and flooded both diffs with water and sand, and still haven't had a problem. Took a few drains of the front diff to get all the dirt out, but still running strong. Have never needed slip-lock additive in the rear with the Amsoil (although they have it, if you want to throw a bottle in just for grins).

Amsoil is good stuff, that's what I use in the differentials, the transmission and transfer case. Redline is also good, I used Redline in my 89 Ranger manual trans and diff with no problems. I did not add any anti slip additive to the Ranger and did not experience any issues up to 120k when I sold the truck. My Explorer has an open diff, so IDK about Amsoil, but I doubt that you need the additive. You could always add it later if you start to have problems.

If you have a limited slip diff, yes it is needed

Attachments

• slip lock.jpg
    slip lock.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 465

If you have a limited slip diff, yes it is needed

I have a LS 3.73 rear and use Amsoil 75w90 ( and before that used Mobil 1 ) and have never added any addative. Never had any noise ot problems.

Just because they sell it, doesn't necessarily mean you need it. ;)

I know that Redline instructions were that anti lock additive was usually not necessary, but was compatible if you wanted to add it.

I don't know about Amsoil, but I'm thinking that you probably don't need it, although it wouldn't hurt to add it either.

From Amsoil website ( Dead Link Removed ):

>>AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR® is compatible with most limited slip differentials. If limited slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifier additive.<<

Back