Best way to keep leather interior looking new? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to keep leather interior looking new?

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I am looking to get a 2008 Merc mariner it has a black leather interior. What is the best way to keep it looking new. I want to prevent the warn and torn look that my limited had and my suburban has.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are selling cream shoes polish to keep shoes from outside weather...it is oft and hydrate the letter. go see in a shoe store...mine is white cream in tube.

Whatever you end up using, use it frequently, and religiously- idea is to maintain the leather, not have to clean it up later. You'd be surprised how much dirt can transfer in a couple of weeks.

I have used STP Son Of A Gun on my cars dashes and vinyl for years and it, I don't know how it would work on leather, or if the stuff really even does anything more then just make it look good.

I have been using Eagle 1's leather cleaner and conditioner (2 different bottles) with great results for a decade or so.

Some conditioner is slick/greasy some shiny. I like the natural look and have found Zaino Leather-in-a-bottle to be my fav. Not greasy and the best smell of anything I have used.
http://www.zainostore.com/
I havent tried their cleaner as I had some Mothers to use up first but most any name brand cleaner should be fine.
As mentioned by JoeDirt, doing it regularly is what will help the most.

I have a turtle Wax made for leather. The best thing about it is that it is NON-GREASY. This means that you won't slide off the seats when you sit down (makes a great April Fool's joke though :D ). This also means you can protect your leather stearing wheel.

Surprised no one has mentioned Lexol. Get the Orange Bottle and the Brown bottle. One is the cleaner and the other is a conditioner. It also depends on the type of leather. IIRC, only the King Ranch F-150 really has supple leather. My Eddie has a coated leather that is just that, a less supple, lower grade material. I'm not sure on the Mercury applications.

The same cleaning principles apply with either material though. Just don't expect your leather to feel like an Audi if it's coated.

Don't buy a product that will strip away the natural oils of the leather. I would stay away from anything Turtle Wax. IMO, there's plenty of higher quality alternatives for the same price that do 10x more for the longevity of your application.

Back