Better Gas Mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better Gas Mileage

drdan976

Reaction score
Ok folk, dont flame me for thinking that this explorer is a honda civic and can get 30 miles per gallon, but 12-14 mpg? This seems a bit low for me. Factory tags say 14-18 mpg. My explorer (98 AWD 5.0L) has 30K miles on it and it sucks gas like crazy. Any tips on what to look for to increase mileage. Replace the air filter to a K&N? Change fuel filter? Take off that lead weight off my right foot?

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drdan-
new plugs, wires, K&N w/drilled box, and headers turned what used to be 12/16mpg at best in my '93 OHV 4.0L into 14/23 mpg. granted, that's a rather substantial investment (about $350 in parts alone... cheap headers but expensive plugs and wires) but it'll for sure help out and pay for itself in short order if you put a lot of miles on. FYI though, it still sucks it around town because you and I share some driving habits that aren't exactly conducive to optimal fuel economy, if you know what I mean ;) fuel filter probably isn't an issue unless you're experiencing rough idle or hesitation along with your poor economy, but if it hasn't been changed yet you might want to do it now.

on another note, welcome to the site :). that's the fun thing about this place, no one will flame you for asking a dumb question. I'm sure I've done it many times and have recieved only knowledge and courtesy from the members. this is a fantastic resource and is full of fun people to talk to. (except me, I just run at the mouth a lot if you hadn't guessed ;))

Aaron

I'm not sure what you want from your explorer but one thing I found is a chip does help the mpg. It is a nice little investment though(about 220 plus 92 or higher gas) but it does help. I went from about 14mpg to about 17mpg with just a chip and a tune-up. I spent about $350 in all but also gained a few more ponys under the hood, which is what I wanted anyways. The increase in mpg is just an added bonus.

:p :)

Better Gas Mileage.

drdan,
You probably won't need these replaced yet, but at around 50-60K they should be ready to be changed... I replaced my Oxygen sensors on the exhaust manifolds last week. Mileage on the highway jumped from 14 to 17. On the street it is still 11-12 with 33" tires, 3.73 gearing, and a lead foot...
Rick

Thanks guys for your help

This board is the best for the Explorer Users. Im feeling the love. Thanks guys.

By the way, I have the Ford ESP service plan and took it in to the dealer to take care of the 2 to 3 upshift problem. It was a stuck solinoid (sp?).

They also provided new shocks free of charge and gave me a complete tune up. 30K checkup.

Dan

Dan:

It's the gears, man, the gears. Actually, do a K&N, also; I've got 'em in all my cars and motorcycles. My Explorer, as per below, pulls an honest 20 mpg @ 70-75 mph, even with the A/C on. Only 13-14 in town, though. Like you said, it's no Honda Civic.

Pete

You didn't mention whether it is 2WD or AWD, but the AWD gets lousy milage by design. I get between 13 and 18 on average mixed highway somewhat city driving, the average speed by me is 40MPH, but there is also a lot of sitting at lights, and some idiot put a lot of lights up where they are not needed, and turn red when not needed, so of course stopping and going again in a 55 zone cuts back on milage.

Back