BIG PROBLEM Rear windshield BROKE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BIG PROBLEM Rear windshield BROKE

mazzasec

Reaction score
Ya i was in the middle of fixing my hinges and gave it a try lifted the top portion of the glass and it started to fall tried pushing it back up and BAM shattered all over me its literally all gone. Any have to replace is before? And how much would this cost to fix?

101_2944.jpg

Now the glass is attached to this piece would I have to end up getting this piece replaced to?

101_2949.jpg

101_2950.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:confused:
Ya i was in the middle of fixing my hinges and gave it a try lifted the top portion of the glass and it started to fall tried pushing it back up and BAM shattered all over me its literally all gone. Any have to replace is before? And how much would this cost to fix?

Closed my garage door on my 1991 and went to ford don't remember how much it cost but they were able to fix it.

you probably could go to a body shop too:D:D:confused:

mazzasec- where are you, and what year Ex do you have? I have some...

EDIT: I assume a gen III since I just saw the forum it was in... I've only got gen 2 and 2.5's- best to go to eBay, there are some on there, a body shop or glass shop, I know all of the junkyards up here are not carrying vehicles that new.

You might want to put your year and model in a sig line also... :wavey:

go to a wreckers

ya its an 04 explorer but i had to take off the piece the glass was attached to and it seems that w ill have to be replaced as well

that sux bout the rear windshield on ur x that blows big time

That helps! :D

That happened to my '03 as well. When you get it fixed, you'll most likely need a new interior trim cover for the rear hatch if it bugs you- mine got all scored and cut up by the glass and looked terrible, I made the dealer replace that, and the trim cover that is at the back of the cargo area, by the door sill.

That eternal piece will most likely be all scraped up as well. They did replace that piece on mine, but I don't know if it had to, or if it was cheaper for them to replace and repaint it, than recondition and fix mine...

Sucks man, good luck! I like your tail lights!

That helps! :D

That happened to my '03 as well. When you get it fixed, you'll most likely need a new interior trim cover for the rear hatch if it bugs you- mine got all scored and cut up by the glass and looked terrible, I made the dealer replace that, and the trim cover that is at the back of the cargo area, by the door sill.

That eternal piece will most likely be all scraped up as well. They did replace that piece on mine, but I don't know if it had to, or if it was cheaper for them to replace and repaint it, than recondition and fix mine...

Sucks man, good luck! I like your tail lights!

thanks!

do you remember how much it was to fix?

been there, done that. 05 explorer.

950.00 for that piece of glass. Comes with attached lower piece, there's a name for it, but I forget. Usually primered, forcing it to be painted at extra expense. Can't reuse the Ford badge ($56.00). Can reuse the windshield wiper and motor and arm, and rear cover bucket.

On the plus side, it came with hinges, which is what started it. One side was ****ed, causing it to be stressed at one point through its' range of travel. OH - good luck cleaning up all the pebbles. I still find them from time to time.

-Shawn

and, if they are in good shape, you can reuse the shocks, too. I couldn't find a used one, but then, my insurance covered it (finally, I win one)

Do you have glass coverage on your insurance? My rear glass go shot out (on my 1st Gen) last week and my insurance paid the tab (around $320 ish).

If your insurance does not cove it ask the if you can use their vendor. Sometime they can get it for you at a better price. I had the rear side window broken and my insurance did not cover it but I got it threw my insurance for $150 with a 2year warrenty my cost without them was $350 with a 1 year warrenty.

When I took mine in to get the recall done, the guy at the Ford place told me that about one or two more times of opening mine and it would have shattered. He was scared it was going to shatter on him while he was doing the recall.

When I took mine in to get the recall done, the guy at the Ford place told me that about one or two more times of opening mine and it would have shattered. He was scared it was going to shatter on him while he was doing the recall.

I know this is an old post but what recall are you talking about? My rear window just exploded on me !

I know this is an old post but what recall are you talking about? My rear window just exploded on me !

On my wife's '03 there was a recall on the back glass hinges. They sent about 3 notices to me before I finally took it in to get it done. I'd call your local ford place to see if there was one for your explorer.

Has anyone actually had the recall done to their vehicle?

When mine shattered, it was from when the body shop was working on the hinges, it had nothing to do with the rear trim panel cracking. I don't think there is an actual released recall on the rear panel crack issue.

I paid nothing for the service, but becasue my hinges were new (2 mos. old at the time) and the dealership body shop was doing the work. That's why I had them do it, and didn't do it in my garage. If it's warrantied, I'm not messing with it. That way if it gets FUBAR'd, I'm not responsible- they are.

my hinges were raplaced after they broke in half, there was no recal onthem but a service bulletin from ford they were replaced for free, cheap ass metel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha SAME thing happened to me

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1152438&l=e75c6&id=513268436

i was trying to put shims in the hook so it would close easier so it wouldnt shatter when i closed it.. i was quoted 1800 bux from some places like the stealership. but i went to a local junkyard and payed 500 bux for the whole piece minus the window wiper assembly. now i have a dark green cracked panel on my white x... its simple to install by the way it took me 5 minites

Back