blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
I'm planning on shipping my explorer over in the new year and is it's english spec it doesn't have a block heater on it.

How do I go about getting one and installing it?

thanks

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's cool, I was kinda hoping to get one that's explorer specific or something, so it looks factory..

Si

Well you can try asking the dealer -- they can probably order one for your vehicle.

No problem chappy chap chap! :)

:) Happy Chappy's & The Hawaiian Girls

Music04.jpg

Happy Pappy Chappy Are Ya Sappy ????

@BLUXXX:

I just ordered one from my "friendly Ford dealer next door", a block heater (will be installed instead of a freeze plug.

$49.99 plus tax. Not bad for an original part. I did some reading on the internet, and found that the block heater is the most efficient one. All other ones don't seem to work as well.

Ford quoted me a little over $400 to have it installed. EXCUSE ME? My local mechanic said it takes about 1 hour to do it right, and that would be $50. Sounds much better.

Procedure would be to drain engine coolant, pry out second freeze plug from firewall, install new one, refill system and check for possible leaks. I will have that done soon, as soon as the heater arrives of course.

Am planning on having a timer hooked up to it. Instructions say that 3 hours are required, anything beyond that wont increase coolant temperature, but also wont hurt. So I thought if I set it to turn on at 3:00 am, I should be fairly good to go at 7:00 am.

Hope that helps.

Greetings!

Well that depends on how cold it gets, @-20 here you would end up with a no start, i plug mine in when i park, and un plug it after it's started. we do the same with all our heavy equipment and trucks.

This time of the year mine is plugged in when I get home and stays on 'til I leave. If the temp drops below -20C during the day then it is plugged in at work. We can get static temps as low as -40C. I have a medium size plastic clamp that I hang on the steering wheel to remind me it is plugged in.

Please remember to fill the cooling system with coolant, if you can't fully drain the heater and block then make sure you put in a good mix to allow for dilution, run and check the S.G. oh........ and -45C screen wash too.

Command start is very handy..

how has the weather been in winnipeg this year, We have been lucky hear so far been a mild winter so far.

I plug mine in, regardless. even if it is "only" 32 degrees, I have immediate warm air coming out of the vents, it's easier for the engine to start, and helps gas mileage a bit.

Instructions say that it takes a maximum of 3 hours to heat up to maximum what the block heater supplies. My timer now comes on at 3:00 am. So I'm up to maximum by 6:00. I still suffer from ice cold leather seats (the seat warmers slip around too much, have to find a way how to fix them steady), but having immediate warm air, nice.

Worse thing is of course, the steering wheel. It never warms up. I do not like leather.

Greetings!

I think we have be lucky as well and we had no snow for Halloween! Great night for once for the kids!

how has the weather been in winnipeg this year, We have been lucky hear so far been a mild winter so far.

Still fairly mild. Had a few -20C's and a bit of snow. Freezing rain, that is ugly. Came home one night at some ridiculous low speed, need spiked shoes, let alone tires, even to walk.

Still fairly mild. Had a few -20C's and a bit of snow. Freezing rain, that is ugly. Came home one night at some ridiculous low speed, need spiked shoes, let alone tires, even to walk.

lol i understand that, we had freezing rain with a lite dusting of snow on it. a couple weeks ago, over 30 accidents on the morning drive to work, this madman it a 2500 gmc, passed us. cut myself and another car off, he ended up stuck in the ditch, the other car slid in and got stuck, trying his best to avoid a wreck. I pulled the young guy out of the ditch and back onto the road, the guy in the truck asked if i would pull him out. I said nope good place for you, since your to stupid to drive.

Back