• Register Today It's free!

blown sub amp..need advice

tc11362

Reaction score
City, State
douglaston, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I have the JBL system on my 97 X. I unknowingly replaced a blown subwoofer with a 6" JL 4 ohm speaker that eventually blew the stock 8 ohm sub amp. The JL sub appears to be good. I would like to keep the sub amp in the stock placement. Should I look for a 4 ohm sub amp to power the JL? If so any suggestions? Or look for a used stock 8 ohm stock amp and get an 8 ohm sub? The rest of the system is stock except for Polk sl 80s for front speakers and pioneers 3 way in the rear. Aprreciate any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hooked up my factory sub amp to a 10" kicker to hold my over until my full system was installed. I have had no problems. If you want a factory sub amp I think I have one kicking around.

I replaced my stock amp with 2 new ones. I still have the original if you are interested. I would sell/ship cheap if you're interested.

If you want to keep it in the stock enclosure I'd poke around at low wattage amps or maybe something with a built-in fan. I imagine it gets hot behind that plastic.

Using my stock amp and replacing the subwoofer with an 8" polk sounds "decent" (better when I turn the Sirius volume up loud) - but it won't compare to what you can put out with an aftermarket amp.

Also poke around on the boards to get the wiring information (or maybe Crutchfield may have it). From what I've read there's a "mute" workaround that's needed on some amp replacements.

I do have a Alpine MRP-T220 for sale, if you want to get ambitious and wire in an aftermarket amp.

50x2 @ 4ohm
70x2 @ 2ohm
140x1 @ 4ohm
250 MAX

Never overheated. Never pushed hard. Currently retired in my garage due to an upgrade. PM me if interested.

th_Alpine_MRP_T220.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/Alpine_MRP_T220.jpg

Back