rust on my roof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rust on my roof

miceanic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
ok so i have a couple questions for you guys. the other day i decided to try to take off my roof rack. the screws proved to be a worthy adversary but i eventually got them out. anyway my problem is the rust under the rear drivers side. i grinded down to the metal and found that the rust seems to be imbeded in it. was wondering what you guys think i should do. also does anybody know how to get the nut things that the screw goes into without messing up my roof so i can get to the rust underneath it?? also i was showing this to my neighbor and he pointed out another spot of rust next to one of the bars that seem to be permanently mounted so i need to get them off. was wondering if anybody knows if those are rivets holding them on or something else.
272.jpg

271.jpg

275.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the rust has worked its way into the metal to a point where you are affraid it will spread you could look into the spray rust stopper you can pickup at Autozone etc. It soaks into the rust then hardens which cuts off oxygen and stops the rusting. It will also waterproof the area as it basically primes the rusted metal. I have used it a ton to stop underbody rust on my wifes car and it works great, very easy to use.

The nuts are likely spot-welded to the inside of the roof panel... although admittedly, I've never had one apart...

i just shaved the roof rack off my truck. i had the same problem as you. what you can do is this. take a drill with a wire wheel on it, and try and remove what rust you have. or, if you have a air compressor, us a cut off wheel, and very gently run it over the rust, to grind it away, GENTLY. use some epoxy primer on the bare metal, and do any body work that you may have, prime, and paint. the part that you rack screws into is a riv nut (your first picture). most body shops will have some, but you will need a special tool to put them in. as for the rest of the fasteners, they are pop rivets (your second picture).

so i am reading up on these rivnuts and it looks like they are permanent just like rivets so i am gonna have to drill it out. thing is that i'm not finding any way to put a new one in so i might have to leave it in and spray the rust stopper best i can and call it good?? anyone know of a way to install a rivnut without having to go to a body shop??

if you go to a body shop, it shouldn't take them 5 mins to put one in. it is the same principle as a rivet, it just has threads in. but as a said earlier, you will need a special tool for it.

Back