• Register Today It's free!

Blown Subs Test

Daps

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I'm installing my system and my brother plans on doing his soon with some subs that were given to him but he thinks they may be blown. Can I just put a multimeter on it and test the ohms? They are suppose to be 4ohms subs. Can I just put a lead on the + and - of each sub or the wire coming from the sub but not hooked up to the amp and see if they read 4 ohms or do they have to be hooked up to an amp and have power running through them to test the ohms...

Thanks
Dwyane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can do that, but sometimes they still are blown mechanically but will ohm out properly

Thanks for the quick reply
So in other words I guess theirs no need to even bother testing them with the multimeter then or should I hmmmm

Planned on fininshing my installed today but someone forgot to mention snow,,,after 70,80 temps all of a sudden we get snow augh

test them if you have the mm laying around

Thanks I will, at the speaker terminal level, is that fine...
Cant do any other installs because of the weather....

Wish I had your glassing skills though..your truck looks great

thanks, not like most of it looks good yet though. and honestly you can do it if you tried.

continunity is a quick easy fool proof test.
If it doesn't beep then it never will.
If it does, however there still maybe issues lurking but altleast the coil is intact.
Weather or not it is still in the groove or not, gentle pushing on the driver will let you know. There should be zero rubbing.

We tested them and they came out ok on that end of things. Will hook them up for the real test later..On a brighter note the snow melted and I was going to buy the Bazooka 300.1 mono amp but decided to get the Alpine MRP-M350 and hooked up my new infinity 12" reference and let me tell you booming bass. I had them on a old 600w profile amp just running + to + and - to - from each sub to the 2 channels on that amp and the bass just wasnt there. but with this amp man on man :thumbsup: didnt bump them too long as i guess i should break them in but im happy..on another post I was talking about this and about my pioneer 6x8 not sounding as good as i thought they should, tonite rolled down the windows and they sound goooood not paaaanging sound so im guessing the window is part of that,still eventually i want to move those 6x8 to the rear to replace the factory and get some componets up front any recommendations not to pricey though...

Back