Brake Light works when wanting to, any suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Light works when wanting to, any suggestions?

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
The passenger side brake light works when it wants to, on when lights are on, but pressing the breaks, its a 50/50 chance it will come on, when im having that problem, the cruise control sometimes wont set either, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The turn signal switch (multi switch) I had one of them going out and that would cause the brake lights to do funny things and also the cruise control not to work properly.

The cruise control will not work if your brake lights aren't functioning. So that's your cc problem. Have you tried changing the bulbs? Swapping the bulbs to see if the problem swaps too?

Whuut abooot the brake switch at the pedal?

7800-1219852219-bunnybootprev.jpg

(bunny in a 'boot')

yeah i thought it was a blown bulb, changed it, worked fine first 2 times and then all messed up again, not sure about 3rd brake light, never really even noticed it was there till i started painting

Whuut abooot the brake switch at the pedal?

7800-1219852219-bunnybootprev.jpg

(bunny in a 'boot')

If the brake switch were the cause, both bulbs would be out. Both brake circuits share a common ground. Also check if the same turn signal bulb is out when your brake light is out.

If one brake light works, then your brake switch isn't the problem. It feeds one wire to the turn signal switch. Internally, the circuit splits and there are switches in the left and right circuits to disable the brake light and allow the turn signal to flash. The only other component that gets involved is the wire from the switch to each individual light. And it won't act like yours is acting if it's bad.

If one brake light is always the culprit, then it's your multi-function (turn signal) switch.

It is your multi switch on the left side of your steering wheel. When you use it for a left turn the switch inside will cancel out the brake light and let the light work as a turn signal. Then the switch should close to enable the brake light but it isn't doing that. Back your truck up to your garage door and put your foot on the brake to see if both your brake lights come on. If not gently move your multi switch up and down to see if the brake light comes on.

It could also be a poorly wired trailer brake or wireing harness shorting out that side thats how mine started!

it was the multi switch, i backed up beside a car at wifes work, turned on the signal, brake light worked, turned it off, the switch was really loose, break light didnt work, pushed it down just a lil, and break light worked again

it was the multi switch, i backed up beside a car at wifes work, turned on the signal, brake light worked, turned it off, the switch was really loose, break light didnt work, pushed it down just a lil, and break light worked again

Same problem here. I checked and it was indeed my multifunction switch. Which is also the turn signal switch, for those that don't instantly know what the multifunction switch is on this vehicle.

yeah its not a big deal to me, i get pulled over for dumber ****e :eek: then the break light, like tires to wide, muffler to loud, police wanting to know what the snorkel is and does is work, not the brake like but one time....

digging up the past. wanting to fix this since i got pulled over again for this. i did a search im searching yahoo/google now anyone have insight to doing a multi switch change out.

Should be fairly straight forward, if you remove the covers you should be able to see all of the hardware, IIRC its 3 small bolts that hold it in place and unplug the connector(s)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess my biggest concern is, the trim piece around the steering wheel that covers the switch, is it a pry n pull, hidden screws, or take steering wheel off... never this this part before..

Back