• Register Today It's free!

Brake Pedal Soft - 2006 4.6L 4x4

TowingExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
I have a 2006 Explorer with the 4.6L and is 4x4.

The brake pedal is a bit soft and seems to sag down a bit (not fully to the floor) if I hold my foot on it while running. If not running, and I press harder, it will go down more than where it first goes to as well.

I think this sounds like the seals in the brake master have started to fail.

Thoughts? Is there any way to test it further? The brakes were awesome years ago when I first changed them but the brake in material from the pads is long gone so they are what they are.

I had the brake fluid flushed by the dealer 2 or 3 years ago per their recommendation, plus it was surprisingly cost effective at around just $200. I think the fluid was synthetic too, but I could be wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For less than $50 you can change the fluid again yourself to see if your brakes go back to a more normal pedal feel.
Also, Motorcraft brake fluid is not a synthetic (might be a mix but definitely not a full) however it is a good fluid, but breaks down very fast and absorbs moisture too quickly for long term use on vehicles (racers like to use it since they change their fluid after every race). I personally like using synthetic Valvoline DOT 3/4 brake fluid since it has similar boiling point properties and only costs $12 for 32oz and doesn't break down as fast as the Motorcraft.

My brakes had a soft pedal issue for a long time. Every once in a while you could hear the rubber squeaking. Then one day (months later) I smelled the aroma of burnt brakes. The seals on the rear brakes broke. After having both rear calipers replaced and the fluid changed, ALL the brake problems are now gone. - Just a thought

I also have a 2006 Explorer and the same issue started just the other day.

New rotors and pads this summer.....has worked great since July.

NOW:
Soft pedal - when held, sinks 2/3 of the way down.
No leaks at wheels x 4.
Master Cylinder seems to be holding a good level of fluid.

Bad seal somewhere? Most common area ?

PJ

Master Cylinder. Purge the air out of it well when you install the new one. You do NOT want air in the anti-lock Hydraulic Control Unit.

I'm thinking it will be covered by my ESP. Looking to self diagnose it to avoid bringing it in for $100 deductible if it ends up not being the BMC.

brake feel

I have driven all the explores for the sherriffs office, all the pedals feel soft and when comes to a stop, the pedal sinks to the fool a inch or so. same on my mountaineer, I also thought my master cyclinder was going. but seems to be ok disgined that way.

I have driven all the explores for the sherriffs office, all the pedals feel soft and when comes to a stop, the pedal sinks to the fool a inch or so. same on my mountaineer, I also thought my master cyclinder was going. but seems to be ok disgined that way.

I wonder if it is Ford's attempt to make it feel more on the car side than a truck of an SUV.

Back