Brake Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Problem

Benson

Reaction score
I have a '91 Explorer and the Antilock brake light and the brake light come on at the same time. But here's the wierd part. The colder it is the longer it takes for these lights to come on. Brake fluid is OK, Pads are OK, any suggestions. Someone told me that the antilock sensors may be bad and that they were located in the rear end. Thanks for any help!

------------------
Jack Benson
benson04@alltel.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure if this is going to help but I have a simalar problem. My brake lights are comeing on when I hold the brake down. Then once I let the brake off the lights will not turn off till I shut off the car. I have put new brakes and new sensors on but still can't find the problem. After all this work I just thought is was only happening to me. that was about a year ago.....since then I have forgoten about. Now that you bring it up if you find out anything please let me know!

------------------
Scott
91 EB

Benson-It might be the ABS module which is located behind the dash in '91-'94s. I can't tell you if it is it for sure because it hasn't happened to me yet, but check it out.

I have bled,adjusted and refreshed the fluid in the brake system and this didn't help.

------------------
Jack Benson
benson04@alltel.net

Benson...

Check my recent reply to a similiar ABS Problems post in "General Explorations". It was posted by some guy named Tech. It's an off the wall fix (at least for me), but it worked for my '91 Navajo. Let me know if it works for you... I'm curious...

Ivan

Benson, It could be a couple of things. You've covered the basics, but there are still the electronics. My best suggestion at this point is to go to the dealer and let them charge you the 60 bucks to hook it up to the machine and diagnose it. Electronic components get very expensive, very fast. As for why it takes longer... my guess is that it's an electrical short that when it gets hot, causes the malfunction. The colder it is, the longer it takes to get hot enough to malfunction. My guess is the RABS valve, but don't hold me to it. Let the dealer make the decision.

MudMan, a couple questions, and suggestions. First, if you reach down and pull up on the brake pedal, does the pedal come back up and the lights go out? Try this: Start it up in the driveway. Bend down and look at the exact pedal position. Now, press the brake by hand until it happens. Release it, and see if it returns all the way. Check to make sure it comes back up all the way. Also, look to see that the brake pedal switch is securely fastened and in position. My guess is that all is well here, since when you tunr the car off, the lights go out. Try this, start it up, and make it do it. Then, remove the vacuum hose to the brake booster and plug it with a bolt or even your thumb will work, but there's a lot of vacuum, so be prepared for the engine to rev when you remove the hose. Now see if the lights went out. If they do, then my guess is the booster is shot and is not fully releasing the pedal. If they don't go out, the master cylinder could be shot, not allowing the pedal to return, and slamming the door getting in and out is enough to free it. It's also possible that the vacuum control valve on the booster is bad, but that might be a part of the booster itself. My guess is that it's either the MC, or the booster, since it fixes tself when you shut it off.

Check it out and keep us posted.
-Joe-

Check your fluid level, if you haven't
already. Then take your Explorer to a
good brake shop and pay them $30 or so
to inspect,bleed and adjust your brakes.
They will tell you if anything is wrong.
You may be able to fix the problem yourself.
Don't screw around with brake problems.

There is a wheel-speed sensor on each wheel.

Back