• Register Today It's free!

Can't keep brakes

topcat

Reaction score
City, State
B'ham AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a 2wd 1994 explorer with Antilock brakes. The problem is the brakes do not last very long. I buy lifetime brakes ($9.95) from Autozone and they last only about 8K to 10K. I usually find them when they are already worn into the rotors. I buy the Chineese rotors at Autozone also. The antilock light stays on all the time. I have pulled the fuse on the antilock system.

I would like to get the antilock system working again and find some brake pads that will last longer. Do I need to purchase Ford rotors? Will I need to have a Ford Dealer reset the anti lock brake light after I replace everything again? Help Please ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 93 mail vehicle, I have done brakes many times. You should buy the absolute best pads that you can find. The pads that you generally find at average auto parts stores, are the very worst pads. If you are ever in a hurry, buy the factory pads, they are better than those parts store brands. If you can be patient, look at the aftermarket high quality brands available.

I am not familier with the 1st gen. choices, as I stuck with Ford pads, because they can be had quickly. I only got 6000-8000 miles from Autozone Performance Friction pads. Look on the Tire Rack website, Brakes R US website, or other large brake parts vendors. Find a top quality pad for the front calipers. Also look carefully at the caliper piston boots, they split after a lot of hard use. Rebuilt calipers are cheap, about $15-20 each.

As the age increases on the rear brakes(all parts), the front brakes have to do more of the work. Go through the rear brakes. I think you can lengthen the front brake life by replacing the rear brake cylinders, drums, and adjusters. I bet your rear brake linings have been lasting a long, long time, yes? That's a good indication that they aren't doing much to help to stop the truck. Good luck,

The early ABS systems are very sensitive about dirty sensors, or misaligned sensors. Carefully check them, removing them to clean gently if needed. Don't remove the fuses, that should make no difference in ABS functioning. Actually ABS systems that are never used are more likely to fail. The pump needs to be used once in a while. Good luck

From past experience, front disc rear drum setups typically wear out the front pads much faster than the rear shoes. My dad was able to get about 10k miles out of the front pads on his 96 GMC Sierra while the rear shoes looked brand new. Also, my brothers 1993 Explorer had the front pads replaced at 80k miles and at 91k miles, he told me that the frond end was sounding funny, and sure enough the front pads had completely worn down, and chewed up both rotors.

I replaced his pads with ceramic and I'll see how those work out.

On the other hand, my dad bought a 2001 GMC Sierra 3500 when they first came out. It has a 4-wheel disc setup. It has over 100,000 miles on it, including about 10k of those towing 12,000 lbs. The pads have yet to be replaced, and still have about 30% left on them.

Rear drum brakes need constant adjustment, and as time passes, they do not adjust much any more, if at all. I always readjusted the rear drums when checking, rotating, etc. The braking would be a little better, for a very short period of time. The adjusters aren't sensitive enough when old, to keep up with wear.

Thus higher mileage vehicles with drum brakes probably have the front brakes doing more than 90% of the braking. For the 1st gen. Explorers, that's stressing the front brakes too much, which results in excessive pad wear, etc. Regards,

Your front brakes need to be checked to be sure they are fully releasing. It sounds like the pressure in the system is not being fully released, and the pads then rub on the rotors all the time.

Have you jacked up the front end and rotated the front wheels to be sure the brakes are not rubbing? If they are, you will need to find that problem before repairing the brakes or the cycle will just repeat itself.

The cheap lifetime brakes from autozone suck. They are the worst brakes made. I drive 40,000 miles a year and they lasted me about 1 month.

The best I found so far are the "Performance Friction Carbon Metallic" from autozone. They last very long and stop great. They don't fade when they heat up like other brakes. They used to be lifetime but they recently changed them to a 2 year warranty (because autozone sucks). They are well worth the 40 bucks they cost.

Don't let them talk you into the other ones by telling you they are the same brake with a different name.

ejbeach said:
The cheap lifetime brakes from autozone suck. They are the worst brakes made. I drive 40,000 miles a year and they lasted me about 1 month.

The best I found so far are the "Performance Friction Carbon Metallic" from autozone. They last very long and stop great. They don't fade when they heat up like other brakes. They used to be lifetime but they recently changed them to a 2 year warranty (because autozone sucks). They are well worth the 40 bucks they cost.

Don't let them talk you into the other ones by telling you they are the same brake with a different name.

I have some bad news for you. You need to keep looking for better pads, because I have almost worn out a third set of Performance Friction pads, in two years. They have only lasted at most 7000 miles, on my 93 mail vehicle.

The Ford pads which I used just before these lasted 12,000 miles. I was hoping for less money, that the Performance Friction would be better.

Unless you know a pad is better than the OEM pads, buy the factory pads. With my 98 Mountaineer, I can safely say that EBC makes very good rotors, and pads. I have over 44,000 miles on all four corners now, and they are just about do for a change. At $25 a set, they are a great deal right now. Regards,

Did you replace and lube the caliper slides .... if not the problem is the mechanic not the brake pads ... although you can't expect much for 10 bucks, get some Bendix or other quality pads, stay away from brands with lame assed marketing names like Wearever or Duralast

I have been using the Bendix ceramic pads and they work great and lasted me around 25k miles. (mostly highway) They are a little pricey at $60 for the front, but they last longer, less dust and a lifetime replacement guarentee if they wear out.

cermic pads will chew up those korean rotors in a matter of weeks.

Raebestos semi metallic pads work great, or bendix fleet grade.

I suspect you need new calipers up front, the $12 autozone rebuilds work fine.
replace the slide pins at the same time.
Clean everything really good is very important on the TTB knuckles.

the rear drums on these trucks are self adjusting, put it in reverse, get going, hit the brakes.

However it is a good idea to check the adjsutment on the rears often.

Also if your drums are toast then you will wera out front brakes alot quicker due to no rear brakes.

Your master cylinder and booster may also need attention, a 91 explorer is getting up there in age and these parts wear out.

Any pads you buy at Autozone will come with a lifetime warranty I believe (unless they stopped doing that) the korean cheapo rotors are fine as long as you stay on top of the pads.

The slide pins need to be new, not worn out, they should be semi tough to install. The anti rattle clip is a must. YOu use graphite lube on teh slide pins AFTER you clean the knuckle and caliper completely free of dirt/debris.

Pads should last you 60K miles or so, depending on how you drive.

Back