• Register Today It's free!

Brake shoe lever removal?

Hacra

Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Hey, i have stuck parking brake on driver side and i have diagnosed the cause to be the lever which expands brake shoes, which refuses to move, it's pretty dirty and possibly rusty too, rest of the brake system is newish.

I know i have to remove it and possibly clean and/or buy new one(s).

I watched one F150 video from youtube with similar brake system where the lever is on top of metal piece, with my explorer the lever system is below it and there is axle shaft end kinda close, can you just simply pull it out once brake shoes have been removed or can you just simply remove the lever after lower brake shoe spring and brake adjuster screw removal (would need to push the top side apart a little)? Also does the axle shaft need to be removed?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the answer, but the lever (if the two pieces are stuck together) actually cannot be pulled out since it hits the axle shaft end.

I managed to get it out, had to use bit of violence. Sanded the part down to metal, added grease and now it moves properly again.

interesting! Next step would be to pull the diff cover drain the fluid, remove a bolt from the carrier and then remove the C clip = pull axle shaft out

glad you got it sorted out these parking brakes can be a pita

Back