JTOK

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Need advice/expertise.

1998 Explorer XLT.

Brake line busted above rear differential and ended up unknowingly driving on it for few days and drained the MC. Replaced the rear line and bled brakes with old MC. Was bleeding in sequence of RR, LR, LF, RF multiple times (10+) and am getting nothing but air in the rear (checked and confirmed no line leaks). Bought new MC and bench bled. Re-bled brakes. Still not getting fluid to rear/ nothing but air. Repeated bleeding over and over and over. Is it possible that there is air in the hydraulic control unit/or (r)ABS/ Brake booster? I am grasping at straws and coming to the realization that I might have to take this into the dealership...any advice/ recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The ABS pump has top be bled. The only way I am aware of doing this is with a dealership breakout box that will cycle the pump on command.
Been there when i left the rear lines disconnected overnight. The abs pump bled dry that quick.

Thanks Jon,

Do you happen to remember how much that set you back at the dealership?

Honestly, it was a lucky unlucky mistake which was made at another forum members house, who , luckily had a good friend who owned the local ford dealership. so, it was done free of charge. The story is good but you don;t want to hear that. However, I would be surprised if they charged over an hour of labor.

Appreciate it sir. If you have a link to the story I will def take a read.
Now obviously I do not expect you to re-type it up.
Thank again.

Jason

That same brake line developed a pinhole leak on mine, and I went ahead and replaced the left rear junction (part of the left rear soft hose) and the front to rear hard line.

My master cylinder reservoir had drained empty and I did not have any problem with bleeding them or need to take it to a dealership for the ABS bleed. I just put it in some muddy icy winter slush and triggered ABS by applying the brakes a few times, then bled the brakes again.

Anyway see the following topic where someone did this using Forscan and an OBD2 ELM327 compatible code reader:
ABS bleed - FORScan forum

I think I spent $20 or $30 to have the ABS pump bled at a local brake shop. It's not hard...takes them about 15 or 20 mins.

Back