Brighter headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brighter headlights?

sometimes when i am driving at night and a car rides behind me, i can see his headlights on the road better than mine. i actually see the shadow of my explorer in front of me (which means his lights are much brighter than mine).

i was wondering if there were any headlights available that are noticeably brighter than mine (and i dont want to spend hundreds for a HID kit). are those xenon superwhite bulbs actually brighter? is it a difference you can see?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think my xenon's are brighter, and if you want brighter.... get a pair of fog lights or driving lights.

thanks. it says they have a blue tint, i dont really want the blue looking headlights. just bright white. are there any that dont make my lights look blue? if not, i guess i'll get them since brighter lights will help.

leenjen, have you completely forgotten about PIAA superwhites? :eek:

Originally posted by mattadams
leenjen, have you completely forgotten about PIAA superwhites? :eek:

are they any good? i never saw any piaa headlights, just fogs.

and i dont even know where to buy them..

Yup...Go with PIAA Superwhites if you want a "brighter" light. Fake xenon bulbs suck in the rain and they aren't any brighter than stock bulbs.

I have PIAA 9007 bulbs myself and I think they are definately better than stock, but I don't know if you'd think they are worth the cost. I'm planning to save some money and hook up real HIDs...the price of aftermarket HID kits are really coming down nowadays. There's some available from $400 and up.

The 9004 bulbs (stock 45 watt dims & 65 watt bright) are lacking on any car they are on. Just not bright enough. The PIAA lights dont waste lumens makeing a blue color that does nothing to help you see. Mater of fact the blue color fades so much in the rain you are almost blind.
Ant good high watt buld is at least $25. ea. and some may require a new $60 harness.
PIAAs will fit and wont hurt your wireing. Money well spent.
Then get a set of Catz MSX clear fog lights for your bumper slots and you'll be able to see to China.

leenjen-

In my 98, I have upgraded the stock bulbs to the PIAA superwhites ($75.00) and upgraded my fogs to PIAA 1500s ($130.00 on ebay) and it has made a HUGE difference for a relatively low cost. Start with the PIAA healight bulbs and then go further if you feel the need.

Sideswipe.. what did u have before the PIAA headlights??... I have the APC's and i noticed a huge difference myself, i think your payin alot for the PIAA name. A friend of mine bought them from that guy who selling them on ebay and they looked real good... they are cheap if your happy with em, then keep em.

www.nopionline.com
you can get them there (all brands) which ever you decide on they are good with prices, i got mine there.

hey sideswipe, where did you get the PIAA 1500 lights for 130$?

ohh, i re read you got them on ebay... who was the seller?

Originally posted by ChuckyD
Sideswipe.. what did u have before the PIAA headlights??... I have the APC's and i noticed a huge difference myself, i think your payin alot for the PIAA name. A friend of mine bought them from that guy who selling them on ebay and they looked real good... they are cheap if your happy with em, then keep em.

I had stock bulbs in there before the PIAAs. You may be right, there may be other cheaper bulbs out there that provide the same improvement in light. If so, and someone can vouch for them, GO FOR IT !

Originally posted by COOLCHRISCUSH
hey sideswipe, where did you get the PIAA 1500 lights for 130$?

ohh, i re read you got them on ebay... who was the seller?

I dont remember, ya gotta get lucky and bid on some if you see em on ebay! Good luck! BTW, I think Matt (the moderator/PIAA MAN) can get some for a good price too, ask him.

aight, thanks... ill keep that in mind. (i wont be seriously looking for a few more months)

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Ant good high watt buld is at least $25. ea. and some may require a new $60 harness.

where can the high wattage bulbs be found? ive seen some that claim 100/130 watts (i had a set) but i doubt they really were, plus they had blue tint which made me not see at all. i would defanitly be interested in some high wattage bulbs, im not worried about the harness, i can take care of that myself.

How long have you guys had the PIAAs installed for? My friend has them in his 2000 grand cherokee and they blew out after 3 months. Has anyone had this problem? Are there any online sites besides ebay where I can buy the lights and save on taxation from the local speed shop?

I've had PIAA's in my Explorer for over two years and had PIAA's in my F-150 for over a year, haven't blown one out yet.

For lights www.autobulbdepot.com & www.performanceproducts.com
I'm sure there are many others.

I have had PIAAs in my 2 vehs and my three kids vehs. for over 1 1/2 years and have not had one fail yet.

You will get more light with a true high wattage bulb but it's gonna cost for the upgraded light harness $50.+ Its not just the heavier wireing but you get heavier bulb contacts and because they use a relay it doesnt put any strain on your elect. switches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about putting relays in line ?
Use the existing wire to control the relays and run a new fused power wire from the battery, thru the relay to the lights.
That should give you more light!

Back