• Register Today It's free!

Broadband Modem for Wi-Fi Access

Texas_Gal

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with MFT and Navigation. I recently purchased a USB broadband modem in order to make use of the Wi-Fi access. When I plug in the modem, the display says it is not a supported device. Dealership was no help. Yes, I know I could just use the hotspot feature on my Samsung Galaxy, but if car is (supposedly) wi-fi capable, I want to make use of that.

The modem is a NetGear 341U and the provider is Sprint. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Texas_Gal.:wavey:
I don't have the answer you're looking for but I'll move your thread to the IVT (In Vehicle Technology) sub forum. Perhaps someone there can assist.

Peter

First have you set it up so that it works in a computer? In theory it should be set up as a network device so that it requires no user intervention to connect to the network. Then from reading prior posts with the vehicle and accessories off insert the modem. Now start the vehicle and let the system come up. Do this once and if you get the error, shut the vehicle off and all accessories shut off. Then start everything up again. It may work....??

Early in MFT only certain USB broadband modems were supported. Hopefully the IVT person can step in with an updated list?

Also watch this for setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G67zu6GBQ1c

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN? :scratch: :rolleyes:

You can create a secure wireless network inside your vehicle and let passengers surf the net. Up to five devices may be connected at a time. It's great for long road trips when someone in the vehicle needs to work, cranky teens that NEED to stay connected to their friends at all times, or your toddlers can connect to Netflix to watch their favorite kids show! This can be created one of three ways:

Plug a USB Mobile Broadband device into the media hub (see two examples below)
Set up Phone Tethering through Bluetooth
Access a nearby Wi-Fi Hotspot

Here are two USB Broadband devices that are known to work:

Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless
Device Model: USB 598
Device Type: CDMA
Device Carrier: Sprint

Manufacturer: Mercury
Device Model: USBConnect Mercury
Device Type: GSM
Device Carrier: AT&T

For Bluetooth phone tethering, please be sure that your phone is equipped with PAN (Personal Are Networking) and you have the proper data plan to support it. We have also updated our Phone Compatibility Chart on SyncMyRide.com with phones that are capable of phone tethering. Check it out:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...blePhones.aspx

Rebecca

Doesn't Really Answer My Question

Good morning, everyone!

Unfortunately, I don't have an updated list, but here's a link to an older post with a couple devices:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2834810&postcount=19

Rebecca

Rebecca--

This doesn't really answer my question. The older post that you shared reads like it was copied and pasted from the user's manual or a sales brochure. It doesn't say anything that addresses my specific issue.

As stated in my original post, my modem is a Netgear 341U from Sprint. That is the only USB modem Sprint currently offers.

Is there some kind of update that can be installed to the modem that will make it compatible with the MFT in my 2011 Explorer? Or perhaps some kind of workaround that can help me?

Thank you.

Did you try anything that was suggested?

Did you try anything that was suggested?

Jmr061--

Yes, the modem was activated on my personal computer before I tried it in the car. Are you saying that there are some settings on the modem that need to be adjusted via the computer before using it in the car? If so, please elaborate. There is nothing helpful in the literature that came with the modem.

I have tried plugging the modem in both with the car running and with the car and accessories powered off.

I did not mean to seem as though I ignored your post. I do appreciate your help. The last time I plugged the modem in to the car, the display on the modem said there are updates available for download. I have not yet done that, but will be doing so shortly.

I will post an update once I have tried that.

Angie
Texas_Gal

On your computer do you have to click something to make it connect? If so from reading the MFT setup for modems you have to go in and set up the dial up connection for it in MFT. Its not going to be plug and play. If you get it set up in the computer as a direct network connection (no user or software intervention need to make it connect) then its possible it may work as in MFT.

The key is whether or not you get the unrecognized device error to go away. If you get that to go away then its all in the set up of the modem for using it in the vehicle.

Thank you. That makes sense. As you may have guessed, we are approaching the outer limit of my technological abilities. ;) I will have to seek the help of some computer guru friends. I will post an update soon.

Has the unrecognized error at least gone away.

The only place I have seen it working is in promotional videos.

BM:thumbdwn:

Has the unrecognized error at least gone away.

I was finally able to download and install the firmware update for the modem. [I had to take my laptop and modem to work, which is in LTE area. Where I live, we barely get 3g, and update wouldn't download in 3g.]

After loading the update, the computer went through some involved installation protocol that I don't remember it doing ever before, so I was hopeful when I went to try the modem in the car again. Fail! Still says "unsupported device." While plugged in to the car, the screen on the modem shows it is receiving signal, but in wi-fi menu on MFT, it does not reflect that any USB device is connected.

While plugged in to laptop, the modem will start without any user interaction.

Now what?

Back in 2011 when this feature in MFT came out there was a "Supported and Unsupported" list of modems that would work with MFT.

The list was only two modems, one of which was EOL and unsupported even back then.

Even back in 2011 the functionality of this feature was simply not developed to the point of using it inside the vehicle. Since it really didn't do anything other then replicate turning on your smartphones internal hotspot, nobody really seemed to care.

Back in 2011 the information from Ford was that this feature was simply there to support future functionality. Then when MFT fell apart the development on those future features got put on the back burner because basic stability was the number one priority.

Its the same kinda thing as when MFT can find and connect to your home WiFi Network while sitting in your driveway. Sure it connects no problem but that connection does ABSOLUTELY nothing. There is no additional functionality, it was designed for future functionality that was abandoned for basic stability.

This is not my opinion, this is from people in the know.

Future functionality: Teats on a boar hog.

Great! So I blew $200 on a modem that I can't use and now I can't return it either. Not exactly happy news.

Thanks for the info, anyway.

Yes I am afraid if you can't get past the unrecognized issue then it will not work. If Ford can't get this to work they should remove the feature instead of keeping it which gives false hope.

Another MFT failure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This feature does in fact work, as I have a friend who set it up in his 2012 Edge, however he is also an IT designer, and was not even easy for him. I can ask him what type of modem he used next time I see him, but I'm sure he used one that Ford had approved as he is a very "By The Book" kinda guy.

Do not abandon hope, as it DOES work as a Wi-Fi spot in the car, I'm just not sure as I never bothered in my wifes Edge Sport. "Ain't Got No Time For Dat!!"

Back