• Register Today It's free!

Broken front wheel bearings

97LTD

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 and '98 LTD
The other night as I just left my work place to go home, less than a mile away something broke in the front and caused ABS light to come on. I could feel something scrapping and I had to pull over. Took at look underneath and the rotor, couldn't notice anything. Tried to limp back to workplace but realized it is not safe so I left it there and had to call a tow truck. I requested a flat bed truck since I commute freeway from home to work about 21 miles each way. It was a good call since the front wheel is in bad shape and the rear lift tow truck would make it worse.

I had the tow truck dropped off at the shop that i usually service on. In the next morning I came to the shop and talked to the mechanic on what happened and he lifted the Explorer up and saw that the front right tire is wobbled as it started to lift. Upon removed the tire, the rotor wobbles and removed the bearing and rotor and there is a broken spindle along with bearings. The mechanic noted that I am very lucky that wheel didn't fall off or cause any accidents especially on the freeway.

About 6 months ago, the mechanic noted that my bearing was dry inside and only did the repack and lubricated. Didn't note that the recommended replacement of the bearing. Would the mechanic be at fault for not recommending or noticing a failure of the front wheel bearing?

Has this happened to any of you in the past?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other night as I just left my work place to go home, less than a mile away something broke in the front and caused ABS light to come on. I could feel something scrapping and I had to pull over. Took at look underneath and the rotor, couldn't notice anything. Tried to limp back to workplace but realized it is not safe so I left it there and had to call a tow truck. I requested a flat bed truck since I commute freeway from home to work about 21 miles each way. It was a good call since the front wheel is in bad shape and the rear lift tow truck would make it worse.

I had the tow truck dropped off at the shop that i usually service on. In the next morning I came to the shop and talked to the mechanic on what happened and he lifted the Explorer up and saw that the front right tire is wobbled as it started to lift. Upon removed the tire, the rotor wobbles and removed the bearing and rotor and there is a broken spindle along with bearings. The mechanic noted that I am very lucky that wheel didn't fall off or cause any accidents especially on the freeway.

About 6 months ago, the mechanic noted that my bearing was dry inside and only did the repack and lubricated. Didn't note that the recommended replacement of the bearing. Would the mechanic be at fault for not recommending or noticing a failure of the front wheel bearing?

Has this happened to any of you in the past?

yes. it happened to me just last week with a truck i let someone use. as i was the mechanic i guess i can't blame anyone but me. your mechanic should have replaced the front wheel bearings on both front wheels, but as a routine maintenance item you should have had them repacked w/grease during your last brake job. is the mechanic at fault? not really. would the wheel have fallen off? not before making a bunch of noise and causing some rather severe braking/steering issues, which you'd have to have ignored. spindles don't usually break, they get ruined when you drive with bad bearings. be honest, you've probably been hearing some growling noises from your bad bearings for some time now. they don't just go from okay to bad without a warning. when asked, the guy using my truck said that he'd been hearing noises for about 2 weeks while driving 70 miles to/from work six days a week.

Had it happen 30 years ago on a 73 Chevy pick up.

While pulling a 30' camper down the freeway, the bear went out and welded itself to the spindle causing the spindle to break.

The only thing holding the wheel in place was the brakes.

MT

I am hearing impaired, so I wouldn't have a clue if I could hear or noticed something would have gone wrong before it broke. 6 months ago, it was serviced with a repack and I may have a feeling that the mechanic did not do it properly or whichever reason that caused my front wheel bearing failure. I should not be responsible for that and will have a word with the manager tomorrow for that matter. This should not have happened with the bearings to fall apart after being serviced on.

The good side is that I am thankful that no accidents happened with this failure and that I am safe. That's all it counts because I commute on freeway daily and it would be scary if it happened on the freeway if the tire fall off or worse.

yes. it happened to me just last week with a truck i let someone use. as i was the mechanic i guess i can't blame anyone but me. your mechanic should have replaced the front wheel bearings on both front wheels, but as a routine maintenance item you should have had them repacked w/grease during your last brake job. is the mechanic at fault? not really. would the wheel have fallen off? not before making a bunch of noise and causing some rather severe braking/steering issues, which you'd have to have ignored. spindles don't usually break, they get ruined when you drive with bad bearings. be honest, you've probably been hearing some growling noises from your bad bearings for some time now. they don't just go from okay to bad without a warning. when asked, the guy using my truck said that he'd been hearing noises for about 2 weeks while driving 70 miles to/from work six days a week.

So... your LTD is just 2WD?

Back