• Register Today It's free!

Broken Steering Column Shift Tube

CorbinDallas

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
Found a few threads with people having loose bolts, but couldn't find any good posts solving a broken shifter. Found an awesome video below to drop the whole steering column and re/re the shift tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMd6jBLfta0

The video has already removed both the plastic and metal panels below the steering wheel, as well as having removed some electrical brackets. I didn't have to remove the brackets to get at the steering column mounting bolts, but it made it much harder to get at them.

Tools:

13mm deep socket (column mounting bolts)
8mm socket (metal panel below steering wheel mounting bolts)
13mm open ended wrench (column mounting bolt behind wiring)
philips screwdriver (plastic panel and steering wheel shroud)
T30 Torx bit (shift tube mounting screws)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to replace one on our Aerostar, outside in the winter and mostly after dark. The worst part was taking so many parts of the dash apart to get to it. Sounds like it's easier to get to in an Explorer. It really isn't as bad a job as it seems like it would be.

The three main required parts are still available, and on eBay they are asking more than the new Ford prices. Do not pay $60-70 etc, the parts should run about $45 or so, plus shipping and taxes. I priced them about a week ago, Amazon was also a hair higher, but with free shipping for Prime members.

I have not watched that video, but I did replace the parts in my 99 about seven years ago. Unless more parts are damaged, what's needed is the main shifting rod and housing pieces, plus two bushings.

I've got loads of steering columns, I'm in Saskatchewan, inbox me and we'll talk

Si

It was about 3 years ago when I replaced the tube on the Aerostar, and I bought everything as 1 part # at O'Reilly's for about $25.

Back