• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod?

scottyexploder

Reaction score
City, State
lanark ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
ive read most the right up but don't understand it, how do u do the brown wire mod can someone give me schematics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Brown Wire Mod essentially allows your vehicle to be a true 2WD/Rear Wheel Drive.
From the factory, Auto 4x4 detects slippage at your wheels and engages 4x4 if it detects it. This means, doing a burnout will result in 4x4 engaging.
The brown wire mod involves cutting the wire and putting a switch in line to control it. If the switch is off, you will be in 2WD, if it's on, you will be in 4x4 auto.

Is there a reason that you're trying to do this?

mostly so I can have 2wd I know how it works and 4% is going to the front until u hit 60 but I don't understand what wire

I also know if u do it behind the dash u have to restart the vehicle for auto to engage again but of the transfer case you don't? what wire is I the harness under what seat

It's the brown wire, under the driver seat. Take off the kick panel. lift the carpet, there is a bunch of wires. I just did one the other day. I usually mount he switch on the center console, or on the dash under the 4x4 switch.

It's the brown wire, under the driver seat. Take off the kick panel. lift the carpet, there is a bunch of wires. I just did one the other day. I usually mount he switch on the center console, or on the dash under the 4x4 switch.

is there more then one brown wire? do I need a fuseable link?

It is the solid brown wire, there is another brown wire with a white strip.
Have a look at the wires from the switch motor on the transfer it's the same solid brown wire. I don't think a fuse is needed, at least I've never added one.

No need for a fuse.

I spliced into the brown wire and ran both ends to a relay behind the dash + an extra 12v lead to a lighted switch.

The only reason I did the BWM was my rear locker was making the 4wd turn on around tight corners.

I have succsefully did the mod and love it :exp:

What do you love about it? Genuine question, not smartass.

The way I hear it it makes very little difference because all the mechanical bits are still spinning anyway.

I love being able to light up the rear tyres in the form of a line-locker or sideways action on the sand!

What do you love about it? Genuine question, not smartass.

The way I hear it it makes very little difference because all the mechanical bits are still spinning anyway.

the mechanical bits are spinning but the tcase isn't putting power to the front diff making my fuel economy almost double which supprised me a lot. also the old ford will light the tires up which give me a lil more fun driving on those wet days its a really easy mod and I suggest you try it out

the mechanical bits are spinning but the tcase isn't putting power to the front diff making my fuel economy almost double which supprised me a lot. also the old ford will light the tires up which give me a lil more fun driving on those wet days its a really easy mod and I suggest you try it out

Anything for free fuel economy.

I thought it wasn't a good idea to leave the switch activated for a long time, as it could burn out your t-case, is that not the case? If so, I would gladly do this mod to gain more mileage on the highway.

Yes Greg the mod in effect forces the clutches to slip by means of removing their ability to lock up. I suppose if you broke traction a lot you would be wearing on the clutches then. And that business about double fuel mileage that is total bunk.

Yeah I thought so. I never really saw the point of doing it unless I also did the manual hub conversion.

my fuel mileage has went from 13l-100km to 10.7l-100km

Back