BTF spacer/ KYB install issues.

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
:mad:
After purchasing a set of 2" spacers from Brandon a few months back I finally had a weekend my w/o kids to tackle the install. I also had purchased KYB G2s struts at the same time so kill 2 birds /one stone...

I steam-cleaned all the suspension since I hate working on dirty stuff got it up on jack-stands and pulled everything apart. After installing the spacers on top of the struts that when the fun began.

The KYBs are slightly different mount on bottom where they got into the lower a-arm. They are wider somewhat. The angle that the a-arm was at would not let the lower mount line up nor could I get the a-arm low enough even with the spindle and sway bar discoed' .

So after much grumbling and knuckle splitting(this isnt the first suspension install ive ever done either) I reluctantly put it back in stock with no spacers,
bear in mind I dont think its anything but a issue with the shocks not with the spacers.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Anyone have any better ideas? I think the way the KYBs fit is a major factor for getting this installed, lined up and fitment being off.

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my KYB's installed fine, although i wasnt using a lift.

yes KYBs fit fine without the spacers, otherwise they dont fit right cant get ower a-arm down enough, even if I removed brake caliper, only other thing was tie-rod end

BTF spacers install -part deux

Ok so last time didnt go as planned- never had an issue taking stuff apart but this 3rd gen suspenions is a PITA.

Since I couldnt get the lower a-arm down for enough to get the spacers in AND get the lower strut mount to line up, is it better to undo the tie rod end and remove the brake caliper as well or what is not allowing the a-arm to get down far enough?

I have a big a$$ piece of angle iron I can wedge in there to get the arm down, but even me standing on the spindle at 225# wasnt enough, so I put it all back together stock when i replaced the struts.

Any advice would be great

Doug

Instead of trying to bend the lower arm down and struggling to get that lower bolt hole to line up, here's what helped me:

-With the strut completely removed and spacer bolted on top, attach the lower mount of the strut to the lower control arm and put the bolt in, then tighten the bolt to the nut loosely so it doesn't come out.

-Now use your body weight to push the lower control arm down until you can angle the strut over to the upper strut mount and insert it into the upper mount.

No need to remove the tie rod or the calipers.

To get the upper balljoint bolted down to the knuckle, what I did was jack the lower control arm up so it's parallel to the ground, then use a ratchet strap attached to the upper and lower control arms to bring them together and guide the balljoint bolt into the hole in the knuckle. This leaves your hands free to put the nut on the balljoint and tighten it down.

Work smarter not harder :D

thanks Ronin- will give it "another try" this weekend

YES front only..im awaiting geting some REAL coilovers and upper arms in the get rid of the issues with no down travel- just goota save up some $

baja ... just got done with my 2.25/1.75 spacer kyb strut install ... wasnt fun but listen to ronin ... thats what i had to do ... put lower bolt in strut then pry and wiggle the coil spring assembly in .... then jack up the lower contol arm in place... beware the truck will lift off the jacks ... and best to use a floor or peice of plywood on the floor jack lifting the control arm to allow the jack to move ... good luck bro

baja any updates on your progress?

yeah I have my kiddos 2 weekends on, 1 off so its tough to get time to work on the X alot, thank god for grandma/grandpa :)

I hope I can get time this weekend. I also have a set of new rock rails I need to modify and install as well.

Back