• Register Today It's free!

Bumper Bike Rack Concept (pic)

mp88

Reaction score
City, State
Nesquehoning, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
In my neverending quest to upgrade my explorer without factory methods and the nice weather right around the corner, I started thinking of bike rack ideas.

Since my X doesn't have a trailer hitch, and all I have is the bumper ball, I schemed up this little idea on Microsoft Paint.

Note: this is not my explorer. :p:
bumperconceptdg7.jpg

Sorry, green should say: bars angled upwards and welded to the frame to hold bikes in place.

Well, what'cha think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only problem is how you are going to attach it to the bumper, if you are going to attatch it to the ball it'll probably not have enough strenght to hold the bikes.

A class 2 hitch (frame mounted) is recommended for only 2 bikes.
A class 3 hitch will handle 4, without wobble.

-mc

Yeah, and ummm, how ya gonna open your tailgate? :scratch:

The plan is to use the ball as a large bolt to secure the metal sheet in place. Since the bikes are closer to the truck. I figured it'd require less strength. But hell, thanks for looking out. Keep em coming! After all, this is just a concept.

Hmm, maybe get to the tailgate via a swinging locking arm. (Not quite sure of the nomenclature).
Either that or make two receiver type openings below the tailgate.
And don't say I should get a hitch! :)

Umm, they make something quite simple already...

http://hitchsales.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=83120&Category_Code=253&Product_Count=1

83120.jpg

I've seen a similar one (maybe by Draw-tite?) that swings down out of the way of the tailgate too...

I've also seen a 2" receiver that bolts on under the bumper that will accept a regular 2" drawbar... That would be useful for a 2" swing-away bike carrier mounted in it...

-Joe

Well now I just feel like a jackass. :thumbsup:

Thanks for bringing that up though. Didn't know where to find em.

Well now I just feel like a jackass. :thumbsup:

Thanks for bringing that up though. Didn't know where to find em.

Oh, I thought the whole idea was that you WANTED to build something instead of buy.

Building is half the fun. Looks like crap, but lotsa fun.

-mc

Well, in building I wanted to be somewhat inventive. But if someone pretty much thought of the exact same idea...well. Darn.

Umm, they make something quite simple already...

http://hitchsales.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=83120&Category_Code=253&Product_Count=1

83120.jpg

I've seen a similar one (maybe by Draw-tite?) that swings down out of the way of the tailgate too...

I've also seen a 2" receiver that bolts on under the bumper that will accept a regular 2" drawbar... That would be useful for a 2" swing-away bike carrier mounted in it...

-Joe

I actually was looking at modifying one of these hitches by putting 2 crossbars on them (top and bottom), this way I can interchange my conponents (ski & bike) to make it a multi-use rack. The skiis would be attached vertically (tips at top), and bikes would be mounted with wheels toward the hatch.

Just havent had the time to weld up the bars yet.

-mc

not a bad idea, but the bikes will turn that mount cause it is only mounted with a single nut and will pivot. also to close IMO, the handle bars will hit the hatch. here is the one i settled for, i like it over the one above cause it supports the wheels and the frame. not allowing them to turn while hawling around. http://www.etrailer.com/p-tr63131.htm

not a bad idea, but the bikes will turn that mount cause it is only mounted with a single nut and will pivot. also to close IMO, the handle bars will hit the hatch. here is the one i settled for, i like it over the one above cause it supports the wheels and the frame. not allowing them to turn while hawling around. http://www.etrailer.com/p-tr63131.htm

I just go that same rack for my camper. Would be better if it held 3 bikes, but it should do nicely.

Back